Neolamprologus Multifasciatus With Substrate Instead Of Sand Bottom

euripides

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Neolamprologu Multi fish, in my 20 gal I have 9 rams, 2 ottos and shrimp, I am interested in these fish because they are small cichlids that use shells as homes, wondering if my tank with the fish I have in it and the amount of fish in it, would work, and since im using the eco complete plant substrate which is simular to the fluval stratum substrate instead of having sand, which is recommended, would substrate still work with these fish.

If anyone can help me on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

These guys love to dig! They are constantly moving the sand around their shells and burying excess shells. They also come from hard water African Lakes, so they may not be a good fit for your tank ( though, if you're not modifying tap water right now, that's a moot point).

Also, they occupy the bottom of the tank, and may harass your rams.

Shellies are vicious fish...able to hold their own and even kill other fish that are often touted as fighters...IMO, if you put (breeding) Shellies in with your rams & shrimp, consider them dead.

As for the substrate, I've only ever put them in with a sand bottom, as they are natural excavators.

good point, my small tank may have to stick being a ram tank then, I do want those electric blue balloon rams from AC, but $29.99 a pop is pretty expensive, but they sure are attractive fish, I thought when I bought the Veiltail gold rams for 12 dollars were expensive, but the blues are on a whole new level!

Euripides I can understand on that E.B Ram. Possible thought do what I did, find another fish enthusiast in your family & friend circle and drop hints that for a birthday, special occasion, if you love me you'll.......gift. LOL. This is how I hope to get a few. ;)

Haha well I did end up getting a pair of the EB rams, my brother owed me money so I just got him to buy me two. They are pretty nice looking rams and they aren't as aggressive as the normal German blue rams. they just mind their own business and very interesting to watch. All I need is a pair of Bolivian red rams and my ram tank is complete. only thing my 20 gal has 11 rams now. Its getting to the max if it hasn't already!

Once they mature and start pairing off, you may want to reduce that number by half or more....

yeah Thats what I hear. I know I have a lot of males, not that many females. Might have to move them in my big tank and move some other fish into the small tank when it comes to that. Or get a bigger tank. but my gf wont like that at all as I've already spent a lot of money with my two tanks Haha