Buffalo Head Cichlids

Eugene

Got some fry mommy's guarding them in a community tank.I'm thinking I should leave a small light on in the evening for a week cause there is 2 synodontis in there.I bought them at the ACE auction last year can anyone tell me who sold them or know anything more about them?.

Edited by Eugene

I have had buffalohead fry in a 90 gallon tank with an 8 inch sydontis, electric yellows and strawberry peacocks with no issue. The fry and mom will stay in small caves or under a rock depression in the sand, but then mother only successfully reared about 2. If you are asking who breeds bullaloheads I think his last name is Christensen, he comes from around Edmonton way, and always sits in the first row at the auction, last auction I think he even took on the role of auctioneer for a spell. Maybe I am not right on his name but that is the chap.

Nancy

Once the fry leave the protection of the cave the female starts to lose interest and lets them fend more for themselves until she gets to the point of showing no interest at all. Natures way of guaranteeing survival of the fitest. There will generally only be 4 or 5 that will make it if left alone.

Yes they are pretty quick once they get out into the open but they have to be fast to survive. If you plan on saving all of them you have to get them while they are still altogether in the cave. After that a net works best unless you are lucky enough to have them retreat to the cave after lights out then you just have to lift the cave out.

Well I'm really starting to like my Buffalo's there growing on me .At first they didn't impress me with there colors but they make up witth it in there curious inquisitve and shy nature .those bright blue eyes and dolphin like looks just kinds got to me.