Fin2you

After some research & a trip to Pisces in Calgary, I have realized my dream of having a Betta community!

Right now it is home to; Fin Royal Blue Veintail, 4 Habrosus Cory's. (I had bought 5 but 1 died asap) & 1 Spixi apple Snail. Soon to come is another Spixi & a mystery snail. wondering if I should add a couple more cory's too? I have rarely seen them together (infact only when I was doing a water change!), the rest of the time they're spread out around the tank. Usually only the 2 larger duller colored (females right?)

wondering too, these guys don't seem to care for the TopFin bottom feeder pellets but are eatting the Algae Wafers like they're candy. I usually break 1 up into 1/2 or 1/3's and try to get them around the tank.

any other thoughts, suggestions, advice would be great too. I love these little guys (& gals) they get along great with my Betta, infact I am certain they play tag with eachother. It's commical to watch!!!!

here is a link to the most recent tank picture I have. I have since gotten a new heater, another decoration, & the cory's!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2308233760055689198LFLFRa?vhost=pets

Edited by Fin2you

Corydoras are foodies, they clean up the extra food. The algae wafers won't hurt them but they like any other fish prefer and benefit from a variety of foods. Krill, Tubefix worms, Blood worms,lettuce, spinach, peas as the occasional treat . May I suggest switching to NLS (New Life Spectrum) food pellets. It will feed both your Betta and Corys with better nutrition (more pure food, less filler than Topfin). Depending on the size of your tank you can do the 1 fish per gallon, although I would recommend 2G for the Betta. You could even add another kind of Corys to the tank as they will "school" together with the exception of the Albino Corys as they are speciests. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful tank.

Edited by jeanie1978

thank you for the info that cory's will school together! I was at the store today picked up 3 jullienne? cory's, b/c they were adorable! They had them in a tank with the salt & peppers as well as another fish so I assumed it was ok to keep them together.

I hope these 3 are stronger than the last group of cory's I purchased from Pisces. 2/3 of them died!

thanx also for the tip of the better food!!

The habrosus corys are a little more delicate (most of the dwarf for corys have found delicate some what) I have the peppered, bronze, golden ear, albino, habrosus, and panda corys, check out http://www.planetcatfish.com/ type corydoras in the search and they have good info personally love these little charmers

So I'm very discouraged. 2 of the Julii Cory's I bought yesterday died. I am so careful transporting & acclimatizing, but yet they didn't make it. If I'm going to get any more of these guys I will find a new store to purchase from. out of 8 purchased cory's I've only got 4 in my tank :(

Funny how my most sensitive fish which I bought at the same store, is thriving, Fin (the Betta)!

Corys are sensitive to salt if you do add salt to your tank, put it in tank in small increments. Also water levels could have spiked from deaths happening. and yes it could be a bad batch from the store. Sorry for that, they are a fun little fish.

Nope no salt, only thing I add is API tap water conditioner & stress coat when I added newbies. I was treating the ammonia spike with tankbuster, but levels back to normal. Now if only the cloudy water would settle so I can enjoy my tank more!

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to keep corys as well. I find when they are sluggish the water nitrates are usually high. I then do a water change and they get busier for a while. I am still learning about these cute little beasts. I have a few juvie bronze(5) and I am not sure of the other variety(maybe peru) I could use a few tips if anyone would like to help. Thanks

the 5 that I have now (3 habrosus, 2 julii) are happy and really active most of the time. They get along great with my betta. I know they are happiest in larger groups but I only have a 10gal that also houses 3 spixi snails & a black mystery snail.

They love love love algae wafers (but I only give mine 1/2 of one every 3 or 4 days.) & I also feed a bottom feeder sinking pellet.

I guess they are very very very sensitive to travel stress & acclimatizing. I've taken to traveling very carefully with them in a spot in my van where they can't move, then when I get them home I put them in a fish bowl with just their travel water & use the slow drip method then after 3-4 hrs I just tip the bowl over into my tank slowly and let them swim out. If I get a 2nd tank I'll divide up the snails, & cory's then I'll get more of each type so I have 5-7 of each.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bunch of the same little guys when I first got into tropical fish- I *really * like all the dwarf and tiny ones. they ALL died. Maybe I will try them again in this tank after its been settled a while. they are very cute and very nice to watch. corys are a beautiful little critter.

You mentioned that your water was cloudy. Did you just recently set it up? If a tank isn't cycled it can cause stress for the fish. If it's been cycled and it's cloudy then you should do some extra water changes to clear it up. The dead fish will increase the ammonia, and more of that in the tank is bad for the fishes.

Also, are you adding the water the fish come in from the store to your tank? It's best to never add water to your tank from another tank unless you know for sure what the water conditions are.

I've got 2 pandas in a 10g, they're busy little guys. Gonna move them to a bigger tank once I find another and get them 4 more friends. Love watching them swim around!

Edited by DragonNeko