Input Please - Issues With Gender.

McTurtle

To the betta gurus out there,

I bought this betta as a dragon female. I had "her" in a sorority tank, but she was too aggressive and I had to set up a separate tank for her. She's been on her own since November and I've never tried to breed her because I've had some doubts about her gender. I can't find an egg spot on her, but a) I have very little experience with identifying it and B) her colouring makes it yet more difficult. Also, I think she has a beard...

The last month or so she's developed blue scaling on her face. To me her body shape is male. Also, when I posted her picture in November a few of you thought she was probably a he.

I've started adding Indian Almond Leaves to the water I condition for her tank and after her water change two days ago she started building a little bubble nest. Today the nest was much much larger and there are sort of yellow/ off white spots to it. Could she have put her own eggs in it? Is that even possible? I've read that females do sometimes build nests, but this seems excessive. The off white bits could be plant material I guess...

Here are the pictures, sorry for the cell phone camera quality.

The nest

6858719636_d45fd1c0ea_c.jpg

Here she is today

6858721358_211829ec34_z.jpg

November

317849_10150311971196512_566171511_8268551_1813721262_n.jpg

297237_10150311971266512_566171511_8268552_1869737374_n.jpg

So, any ideas? Is she a he? Any idea what the off colour specs in the nest are?

I'd really appreciate any insights you guys may have.

You mean HE is ready to spawn. Good nest I'd throw in a willing female if you're looking for babies.</p>

Girls can build nests but it's very uncommon.

I get those spots on my bubble nests...99% sure they are from the almond leaves and tannins. Always present with never present without kinda thing for me.