Shrimp With Eggs

Jayba

I have read many reports on several forums of people using cherry shrimp. Apparently, they'll only eat crud or dead eggs, and leave viable eggs alone.

Some of my most plentiful and colorful cherry shrimp production came from fry tanks, but I've never kept them as egg nannies before.

I have read many reports on several forums of people using cherry shrimp. Apparently, they'll only eat crud or dead eggs, and leave viable eggs alone.

i read the same thing,i think any of the smaller hardy shrimp would do great,(red,yellow,orange,green,blue)

but i wouldent risk putting in big shrimp like amano

Edited by Sprucegruve

I'm trying an experiment w a few BN eggs that were kicked out and a lone CS in one of those HOT fry savers.

Just plunked them in now an will see if the eggs remain fungus free thru the day.

Edit: the shrimp is a young male.... wonder if I should have used an older female for a more motherly touch?

After 1.5 days, the eggs were still clean, but only 1 out of 13 eggs made it to hatching. That was with 3 shrimp in one of those Marina HOT fry savers.

My experience is that while the shrimp won't eat the eggs, they won't keep them clean, either.

Well, I just tried this out on a batch of angel eggs. The eggs were laid yesterday, about 125 - 150, so a small spawn, but looked good. Only a couple of eggs turned white. I watched the shrimp a lot of the time, and they ate all of the eggs, good, and bad

• 9 months later...

Well I tossed 2 a cluster of about 20 L-134 eggs I have in a windowbox with an airstone.

I had 3 eggs go white a couple of days ago, they are very large eggs, and are all stuck together in a clump. While trying to pull a white egg out I popped it.

So now I had a cluster of eggs with an eggs outer shell or layer stuck in there waiting to cause a problem. So in went 2 shrimp. 2 days later, the destroyed egg fragments are gone and the shrimp have not eaten any other eggs. I have dropped in a single NLS pellet so they aren't starving. I guess I will see what transpires.

I've tries them with Ancistrus eggs, but either the shrimp couldn't keep up with the fungus, or they just didn't bother.... Hope you have better success.