Fluval Filter - Mod 2

blink

I recently found a 15 gallon acrylic tank in the garage and let me tell you, it's an odd one.

One end of the tank has a black plastic shroud inside and outside and contained inside is a heater and filter. The filter is a square tube in brown plastic with a removable clear/brown media cup on the bottom and there is a peeling sticker that says Fluval Mod 2.

Anyone familiar with these? I'm guessing it's pretty old, but is it any good?

I couldn't get a decent pic of it the model sticker but I got a couple of the whole schmozzle. Can't up any more pics right now because the global upload limit and I can't remember my photobucket info.

post-5580-0-03481000-1332820215_thumb.jpg

post-5580-0-11352000-1332820388_thumb.jpg

Edited by blink

I have a Fluval internal filter from way back that is the same as the piece you pulled out in the first pick. I'm guessing the black part is the "Mod" because it hides the filter and heater out of sight, instead of having them visible inside the tank.

Thanks for the quick response, is the filter worth a darn?

I do like the looks of the tank but it's fairly scratched (aren't most used acrylics ;)) and if it won't filter very well maybe I should just sell it and get a 20 long :D

I like the little thing and use it mostly for temp tanks - just throw some active media in there and let 'er rip!

For a little tank like that, I think it'd be fine. I have used them long(ish) term on shrimp and fry tanks w/o issue.