Filling A Rena Xp2 With Live Rock?

hi,

im wondering if filling a canistar filter with live rock would work better then filling it with filter media? would it help to filter things out better? could it serve as a safe place for copepod development for when i want to add a mandarin dragonet?

thanks

The problem with the canister is that it will become a detrius trap and you will have to clean it out weekly. If your willing, you can use either or. Just make sure you shake the filter material out in old tank water with each cleaning.

For the pod idea, they will end up getting chopped up pm their way out so it won't help your mandarin. How about you just take some live rock, sew some cross stitching material around it and use that as a breeding ground for your mandarin. If your tank is not established for more than 6 months, I wouldn't bother buying the mandarin as it will starve out.

We just converted to salt on a 36 gallon. I was told to ditch the Bio rings,floss, and replace all media with live rock rubble. In my Fluval 305 I have the long foam pieces, charcoal and the rest of the filter crammed with rubble. I was told the same thing that Fishtankboy said that all the other filter material can have a negative impact on water quality especially if you are going reef. We are running 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate. Water is crystal clear. Keep in mind though we are running an in tank skimmer, this helps pull the waste out of the tank.

Just my opinion and what we have done, seems to be working.

vitaminz is a good person to ask about questions you may have.

Hal

We just converted to salt on a 36 gallon. I was told to ditch the Bio rings,floss, and replace all media with live rock rubble. In my Fluval 305 I have the long foam pieces, charcoal and the rest of the filter crammed with rubble. I was told the same thing that Fishtankboy said that all the other filter material can have a negative impact on water quality especially if you are going reef. We are running 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate. Water is crystal clear. Keep in mind though we are running an in tank skimmer, this helps pull the waste out of the tank.

Hal

Very interesting, ty for that...will remember.

The problem with the canister is that it will become a detrius trap and you will have to clean it out weekly. If your willing, you can use either or. Just make sure you shake the filter material out in old tank water with each cleaning.

For the pod idea, they will end up getting chopped up pm their way out so it won't help your mandarin. How about you just take some live rock, sew some cross stitching material around it and use that as a breeding ground for your mandarin. If your tank is not established for more than 6 months, I wouldn't bother buying the mandarin as it will starve out.

you know i never thought about it like that.....im going to do the rock rubble and a couple bags of carbon idea. seems to be working the best and makes great sense to me. thanks for your input and i totally forgot about the impeller chopping up the copepods......i will just have to seed the tank for 6 months before adding the madarin oir i may be able to find one that has been trained to take frozen or dried food....could be hard to find though lol.

Hal

thanks a lot hal, your idea is great and im going to go with that....i have a kinda newbish question but here goes. is rock rubble just broken pieces of live rock?

thanks

Just a question, but what's the difference between pods getting chopped up by a canister filter impeller, but seem to be fine to go thru a return pump impeller from a sump/fuge to the display tank?

I have had baby fish go thru impellers and live in an HOB filter for weeks, so I think pods should be fine in a canister.

i thought about that too....there always seems to be some that get through and them being so small im sure many could get through unharmed and for the ones that do get harmed they might still be eaten by the dragonet

• 2 months later...

What's the difference between using the bio rings/bio max vs live rock rubble? They serve the same purpose do they not?