165 Gallon Impulse Build **lots Of Pictures - 56K Warning***

jcgd

blues are nice.

but depending on your water paramaters you should check out harolds Hyphessobrycon frankei also called the Ucayali tetra.

Edited by Sprucegruve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the XML at about 1500mA with 40 degree optics.

Xpg at around 1000mA with 60 degree optics.

Fixture about 20" off the tank, 40" off substrate.

PREPARE TO HAVE MIND BLOWN!

Wow! Want to see this bad boy in a month or two. Beautiful.....hey just noticed my Roselines in there. You need another 8. That tank is HUGE!

Edited by Jayba

looking really good.

Thanks boss.

that looks beautiful!! you should enter it into the world aquascaping competition!!

What kind of rocks are those?

I'd love to enter it, hopefully it turns out well enough! I've just about got enough growth to start moving things around. It's all seiryu stone.

Wow! Want to see this bad boy in a month or two. Beautiful.....hey just noticed my Roselines in there. You need another 8. That tank is HUGE!

Haha, yep, the big ones are yours. I just added them a few days ago so they are still being wimps. You think I need eight more? That's gonna be a big school when they are all grow'd up.

I've got 50 blue tetras holding at Harold's for pickup and 20 corydoras sterbai coming at the end of the month. I also need to add a handful of ottos and there's around 18 Amano shrimp in the tank. Also have a breeding group candy striped dwarf plecos for the tank as well as a galaxy and a few others. I'm going to stock it a little slow because I need very well oxygenated water for those roselines. The sump was a good idea for that reason, and I'm cranking the co2 and so far all is well.

I'll also be adding colony of painted fire red and also tiger shrimp if they do well in tap water.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back form a five day vacation to Vancouver. All was fine and dandy when I got back and it was my first time leaving the new tank alone. I also ended up adding 20 Corydoras sterbai, 10 PFR and 10 tiger shrimp to my quarantine. I wasn't around to pick bodies if need be (had a Canadian Aquatics order shipped in) but all was well tonight. Picked out a single shrimp but I can live with that.

Also added some plants tonght:

Bacopa caroliniana

Blyxa japonica

Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'

Juncus repens ?????

Limnophila aromatica

Ludwigia brevipes

Ludwigia inclinata

Ludwigia repens x L. arcuata ??????

Ranunculus inundatus

Staurogyne stolonifera ???????

Hygrophila pinnatifida

Eriocaulon sp. 'Goias'

PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS

Pogostemon erectus

Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata 'Cuba'

Oh jeez. It's hard to say. The whole build took me a year, but I had to build the fixture, come up with money, source all my parts, etc. If I had the money up front I could have all my parts in say three weeks with shipping.

The hardscape took me a few hours, more playing than anything, but you can see it was pretty different in my first few pics (when I was actually setting up) versus now. I think it looks much better than day one now that I've sat on the layout, and then adjusted, and then waited again. There are still a few things I need to fix.

The planting took about 10 hours.

Setup of all the equipment, lights, etc. probably took around 6 hours if you have a helper to move stuff around.

I find the planting to be most tedious. The first three weeks are hard work, lots of large water changes, getting the co2 set, I had to keep lowering the lighting intensity, etc. CO2 is the hardest to get right.