Kribs Pairing And Compatibility

SuperGuppyGirl

So I had 3 male Scarlet Kribensis and a female, that just didn't seem to pair off, lots of nipping no actual damaged fins but ALOT of chasing (35G tank small gravel, 5 terra cotta pots spaced around tank) and the poor lil girl was chased out of all 5 hidey holes, so I went looking around and found homes for 2 males, keeping the biggest scarlet male and the female, started feeding black worm still no purple belly, he would sometimes swim with her and sometimes nip and chase her off, added some real plants (Thanks Spruce Gruve) dwarf chain sword, chain sword, cambomba and some root less stem thing that floats (from DragonNeko), still no purple belly double checked and yes it is a girl, finally got another female (regular krib) and popped her in the tank, she chased the poor scarlet female so much she started getting severe stress lines and not eating, sectioned her off in the end of the tank and few days stress lines gone and she is eating and attacking the hard cross stitching mesh I used to separate when the other female is close, almost immediately after I added the new female to the tank (within 2-3 days) of the black worm the regular Krib started sporting the big purple belly, the male swims more with her and doesn't chase her off but she sometimes does to him, so thinking they paired off been slowly raising heat to 84F so how long till the eggs and how will I know (first attempt on egg layers)....thanks peoples

Almost for got have 6 rasboras in there for dither fish and with possibility of eggs any algae cleaners I can put in with these guys, eaters of the brown variety and angel hair variety in a high sun light area

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

The purple belly is a good sign. If you see them hanging around a certain spot or in a cave a lot, then they're possibly spawning/spawn ready. The female likes to pick up sand in her mouth and spit it out, making a "door" for the cave, or just digging a hole in a corner of the tank like mine did lol

I hope they spawn for you soon! It's so exciting! Mine are close to spawning again, so I'm scurrying to get the coconut huts ready for the tank. Hopefully they use these huts, cause the pots apparently don't appeal to them.

Hope so, damn i put in like 3 pots, propped a ceramic half log on a rock and got a weird barrel thing for caves and they have been hanging out in it alot so hoping got another male and hoping my other girl likes him, just have to figure for out what type of algae eater works for them, what did you have with them DragonNeko?

I have 2 Clown Plecos and 1 Rubbernose Pleco, also have some Apple Snails which seemed interested in snacking on the eggs too. The kribs do a great job defending the eggs, but once the lights turn off the plecos swoop in. That's why a cave with 1 small entrance is best, cause the female will pile sand in the entrance to block it off from other fish. I think she'll actually stay in the cave until the eggs hatch, but don't know for sure. I'm cutting the "doors" on the coconut huts today...a bit worried cause I'm a bit of a klutz with tools lol It is good that their hanging out in the pots/caves a lot. They might be trying to find a spot they like to spawn. If I don't have any luck then I'm gonna take a good look at Sprucegruve's set up, and try to mimic it a bit. Seeing the fry swimming around in his tank with the parents is what made me want chichlids. Seeing fish not eat their own fry was so nice lol Plus their vivid colors when spawning. Kinda makes me want to get a male companion for my Apisto so I can see her bright colors.

I completely forgot about Oto's! Mine ignore the Kribs and the Kribs ignore them. They'd be good tank mates. I don't think Oto's or Cory's would bother attempting to steal eggs from a Krib. You could also try some snails to help with algae, like Nerite's. You could try shrimp, but they'd likely get eaten. I have seen some tanks with shrimp and larger fish, so it is possible, but still a gamble.

Ottos, so going to try those, they are so adorable, mu corys kind of investigate everything so might be problematic lol and so agree about Spruce's tanks actually wanted to do it so much I bought the cryptoheros nanaluteas females off Jvision and found a male at AC (they had them labelled as Lemon lime cichlid and they supposedly do okay with small to medium live bearers so WIN! As for shrimp I tossed in around 5/6 ghost shrimp and it was HELLO LUNCH but at least only out $5, and thinking some of Spruce's snails hitched a ride on the plants as well cause saw several in the tanks not sure what kind they are (red brown curly circle shells) so hopefully they will help keep the plants clean ....oh and yeah the scarlet female took a liking to the reg Krib male, her belly colors went ballastic after he was in the tank like 5 minutes so hopefully he feels the same LOL,thanks guys been adding flourish excel to hopefully kill the angel hair algae, and so running out to get Ottos tomorrow and then shopping for some sand lol

lol yeah Cory's are very curious! Just googled the cryptoheros nanaluteas, so pretty! I'd love to get more cichlid's, but I know that if I don't slow down, then I'll end up with too many fish again lol Hubby wants a 20-30g tank, so gonna take advantage of that! Might sneak in a few fish I want into his tank hahaha Too bad the shrimp became instant snacks. I'm sure that would happen if I tried putting them in with my 55g. Everything I have in there would go "FOOD!" and chaos would ensue.

From what you describe, you've got Brown and Red Ramshorn Snails. Not surprising since he's got 100's. I had a bunch hitch a ride on the first plants he gave me...and the second batch lol It's funny, I'll go out and buy plants, and half of them die, all the plants Sprucegruve gives me live. I don't know if they keep the plants clean or not, can't remember.

I hope he feels the same, poor girl might get heartbroken hehe

lol the nanoluteas are apparently safe with small medium live bearers so can really get the tank to shine hoping and apparently breed like rabbits too, as for plants house plants usually die on me in a week, his have lasted around 2 so might just be super plants lol and thinking they help keep the plants clean as always see them on them and the black fuzzy algae is starting to go away so thinking is a good thing lol just added an albino BN to each side of the 35G split as everyone at AC said the Ottos would get hammered on by the kribs and so far they last 2 days now but am waiting to see if the SK male and RK female laid eggs before I move that tank around, the SK female was a total bag to the RK male so she is sitting in my breeding trap, nipped his tail but good so on a time out, and going to move some stuff around before she goes back in, hoping the guy who wanted my 2 common plecos hurries up with his tank revamp so I can free up some space otherwise they are being posted for free on here

Yeah, I'll go with super plants lol Only house plants I used to be able to keep alive were Cacti, but now I have plants completely covering my kitchen table. Not even sure what most of them are, but they're pretty lol He posted a tip about spraying out of water plants with carbonated water to speed up their growth. Seems to be working for mine. Cacti don't usually grow this fast for me, except for my one big one that I have to re-pot again. I got it about 4 years ago, and it's 3x-5x the size now...well might be exaggerating a little, but still. Not a fun plant to re-pot...

Plecos are really hardy. Their body is covered in hard scales I think. I'm sure they'll be fine with the Kribs, mine have no problems. Good luck re-homing the common plecos. Hope that guy get's them soon.

lol the nanoluteas are apparently safe with small medium live bearers so can really get the tank to shine hoping and apparently breed like rabbits too,

sorry to jump in so late here,those Cryptoheros Nanoluteus are probably safe with everything....untill they hit breeding size,they killed 4 of my longfin banjo cats when they started breeding in my 55 gallon.now the only thing with them is my 2 domestic bread 134 plecos,they hide in caves all day tho.just a friendly warning

they are great parents tho,nothing gets close to their fry.(they even bite me,when im cleaning the tank)

and yes those snails are red and brown ramshorn snails on the plants i gave you,they take over my tanks

sorry about that.

but if you want more plants im getting over stocked waiting for the electrician to finish down stairs.

posted a tip about spraying out of water plants with carbonated water to speed up their growth. Seems to be working for mine. Cacti don't usually grow this fast for me.

cool i diddent think anyone was actually using my tip,i thought it was pretty impressive how fast you see good results.

everyone at AC said the Ottos would get hammered on by the kribs and so far they last 2 days now but am waiting to see if the SK male and RK female laid eggs before I move that tank around, the SK female was a total bag to the RK male so she is sitting in my breeding trap, nipped his tail but good so on a time out, and going to move some stuff around before she goes back in, hoping the guy who wanted my 2 common plecos hurries up with his tank revamp so I can free up some space otherwise they are being posted for free on here

the guys at AC are probably right about the ottos getting picked on,but if you had a really heavily planted tank i think they would be fine with lots of places to hide.

good luck finding a home for your plecos

"but if you want more plants im getting over stocked waiting for the electrician to finish down stairs"

"cool i diddent think anyone was actually using my tip,i thought it was pretty impressive how fast you see good results"

What plants do you have? You know I'll take some :D I'll be in the West End this weekend, we should plan some sort of meet up. Oh, I could get that stuff too.

and I always listen to your tips. Plus you know more about plants than I do. Figured if I do what you do then maybe mine will look at least half as nice as yours :)