?pygmy? Angelfish

jeanie1978

Are there such things as Pygmy Angelfish? I'm wondering this cause about 2-3 months ago I bought an endearing little guy (I think) from A.C., (21/2") Phillipine Blue Black Veiltailed mix, little bit of an oddball since he had a small wilt to his dorsal. (I like the odd/runts of animals, have a soft spot/heart/head for the underdogs.) Now we had added 2 (2 1/2") Marbled mixes a month before we got him, they have tripled in size. He has in the same period of time, less a month, is only about an inch, inch and a half bigger. There's no aggression, levels are always good, NLS and odd treat fed but he's not growing larger. In fact it keeps making spawning actions. I know that there is dwarf FW Angels but Pygmy.....Hence the question.

(I'll try to get a picture but the others are camera hogs.)

(Tank> 50G Fish > 6 Corydoras, 1 (A) Phillipine Blue, 1(J) Marbled Black, 1(J) Marbled Pearlscale and the PBBV Angel. Biowheel 60G HOB filter, 200W heater, Small air bar/med pressure, a few decor/territories and plenty of swimming room.)

Edited by jeanie1978

• 1 month later...

Not sure. Got him from A.C. and they're very good about having healthy stock. He's was active and ate like a horse LOL. I might never know now since he was the first victim to the #^#^#^% worms I accidentally put in the tank from transfering a rescue fish to a hospital tank. Hindsight is 20/20 and a blonde moment by forgetting to sterilize a net lasts a life time.

I think some fish can just be smaller or slower growers, especially if there are other more dominant fish in the tank.

A few years ago I bought 6 1" angelfish, all from the same source, fed the same things, same tank etc. 2 grew really fast, 2 were about average, and 2 stayed really small not growing much at all. I didn't see much aggression or chasing but the 2 smaller ones definitely were the submissive, with the 2 biggest being more dominant. The more dominant fish ended up getting a bit more food but the small guys still ate. I eventually had to remove the 2 little ones because they were still only 1-1 1/2" while the others were 2 1/2-4".

There might be breeders breeding for smaller angels but I've never seen a "pygmy" line before.

I have one molly that is about 3 years old. He is not even 1/2 inch long. Strange little guy!

Yeah I also had some Julidochromis that a few grew normally and a couple "runts" stayed in the 1/2"-1" size. All were in the same tank. Not sure why some didn't grow.

• 3 months later...

I've had angels like that, it grew very slowly compared to the other 4 I got, by the time the other 4 angels were adults, it was only half the size, but than it started growing very rapidly and is now the same size as the other angels....so if it doesn't look deformed, looks proportional, just if it time?