Peat?

Jayba

Peat is great for lowering pH and hardness. Doing so often helps get many fish into the mood. :)

This IS what I'm up to. While in Mexico my fish were in tap water plus some extra hardness for good measure. Now its time for some cool soft water, good food, peat, dim lights and hopefully some Pleco sexyness.

Experimenting with ph, hardness -and- motivating twitter-pation in a certain pr of oscars... that's all I ever used it for. I just hucked a gob in cheese cloth and plopped it in the top side of my HOB. No peat particles in the water; no death in the family or a poor dental check up either. But it did tint the water.

I took some from a bag of garden peat in mom and dad's garage, right beside a bag that said "steer manure." I'm pretty sure I took peat, because ph dropped... and I didn't have any pansies growing in the HOB.

But I think an aquarium HOB planter is a heck of an idea Jay. Kinda like those rail planters in garden centers. Pansies or tulips would drown, but picture a line of HOBs with a water tupelo or cypress growing out of them. Say! It'd be a way to win over to those less charitable towards MTS ;)

Welcome back btw