Strange Platy Behavior

jamesbarr

i dont see you overdosing your tank with C02 with a DIY setup

its always nice to have a test kit around,just for occasions like this when something weird is happening.

its a little pricy,but i really like those API master kits.

i always run 2 filters per tank,i like how you role.if one stops for some reason,the other one keeps going untill you can fix the problem.

i overkill it though im running 2AC 50's on my 29 gallon planted tank

its probably not them being lonely but i suggested it because im almost running out of helpful ideas

lol well thank you for racking you mind for me. I have no idea. I guess I will ride it out and see what happens. If they are preggers I guess everyone can expect some freebie platy/gollie/whatever babies on here haha.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the effort.

I've read this post a few times now, and I'm curious to know why there expressing such behavior. The only things I can think of are they're pregnant, but that would be assuming that they're all female. If the males are doing it too, then that's odd. Other thing I thought of is possible parasites/worms. It doesn't hurt to take a good look at their butts to see if there are any wigglers hanging out. Looking up different parasites/worms and knowing some info can help you notice things faster if that is the case. Hopefully not though, cause they're a pain to deal with.

Are they eating normal? Have their appetites changed at all? Loss of weight? Those are common signs that something's wrong on the inside. If you just got these fish, then the other fish in the tank wouldn't show any signs for awhile. Takes time for symptoms to show.

Could also be that the water conditions are much different in your tank than the one they came from. Could be they're just getting used to it and a bit stressed, but rubbing in the sand instead of clamped fins? I dunno...I'm just throwing out random ideas. Are your friends platy's behaving normally?

so yesterday I noticed that one of them was looking particularly haggard. I removed it from the tank and today all the rest are swimming about as happy as can be. Its weird. Almost like they were all sulking over their buddies condition lol. Sentimental fish.

So I guess Ill just keep watching and see if anything changes back to the weirdness prior to now. But as for the moment, things are back to normal....

Sorry to hear, but don't worry too much about it, cause your on the mend now. Knowing what's wrong makes a world of difference. Everyone deals with Ich at some point. I wish I had mentioned Ich, but there was never a mention of anything external, so I went and focused on internal problems :(

Best of luck helping your fishies recover!

Edit: +1 for what Sprucegruve said. It can be treated without meds. Try using meds as a last resort if the natural way doesn't help. Of coarse it is up to you. Meds do work a bit faster.

Edited by DragonNeko

Thanks for all your help folks.

yeah dragon, the spots only showed up yesterday. blah!

so how much salt would you suggest. websites seem to vary a good deal on their advice about that, I raised the temp in my tank to 82F/28C

Any ways, at least like you said, I know now what the issue is. just have to fix it.