Sump Size For 90Gal?

Mokos

Hey everyone just seeking info on sumps. I know pretty much nothing about them lol. I got a drilled 90 gal. It's drilled in the bottom of the tank and the guy had a Modular system pack on it. But that broke in half when he went to unscrew the top off one to show me. So I have a 10 and 15 gal availiable to make into a sump but not sure if that is big enough? I'm planning on using the 90 as a planted freshwater and just having the sump as my filter with ceramic rings and the bio balls. Kinda have it set up as a canister just on its side. Like I said I don't know anything about this sort of thing or if I can even use it like I'm intending. Any help, tips, concerns would help tons as this is a learning process for me :)

My 90g will be using a 33g sump. Sump was purchased from same mfgr as tank. Keep in mind, that although the sump tank is 33g, it will not be full to the top, so you don't gain an actual 33g of volume.......

See pics of tank/stand/sump here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/170549-new-kid-old-setup.html

James

I never thought about water evaporation a 15 gal would definately not be enough. I should go as big as I can tho. James that's pretty much the exact setup that I'd like to have. How did you work your overflow for the sump? Any ideas? I'm thinking a PVC pipe and cover it in mosses but not sure what would look the best. I'll have a few things to really think about my 90 is 29 inches tall and like you I'd rather not stand on a stool to do anything. Maybe not as tall of a sump would work. Thanks for the thread and knowledge. Im sure I'll have lots more questions as I work things out.

Jeff

Jeff: There is a PVC standpipe which feeds the wet/dry in the LH back corner, which has a piece of 4" PVC over it. The 4" is drilled full of holes so that it pulls water at all elevations (rather than only what runs down into the standpipe @ the surface). The 4" is covered in silicone that was dipped into the same gravel that I will use as a substrate, so that it's less obtrusive than a piece of white PVC would be:)

On the other end of tank, the return from the pump comes up through bulkhead in bottom of tank, up almost to the surface, then 90's and turns into a spraybar which is as long as the tank is wide:)

crappy description, I know.....easier if you see it.......

Hey James it all made perfect sense to me. I'll get a pic off you later on how to attach the 4" PVC to the bulk head on the overflow. I've still got a coupe weeks of work on my basement before i get things rolling on this.

Jeff

Hey yea it is an odd size it's 5 long by 1 foot wide and 29 tall. I'm thinking I should be ok with a 33 gal sump underneath and stand. I figured from the bottom of the stand to top of tank to be between 54 and 56 inches. Im hoping to be closer to 54 as that's the height of my armpit. Any taller and I might have difficulty without a stool lol