Super Bloated Loach

Vallisneria

Yesterday I noticed one of my zebra loaches looked weird. Upon closer inspection the poor guy is huge and bloated! He must have been sick for a while and hiding as I hadn't seen him before and the tank is right by our tv. So I was able to scoop him out today and took a few pics. They are pretty crappy as I was a little freaked out to touch him so its just him in the net but it gives you an idea.

His belly is super bloated and kind of bumpy. The color is faded and his belly looks kind of soft, not hard. He doesn't appear to have worms sticking out of him either and his anus isn't red or anything. None of the other fish in the tank look sick, not even any of the other zebra loaches. Its in my 56gal planted tank. Water is great. I do 50% wc ever 7-10days, not very heavily stocked, fully planted.

IMG007.jpg

IMG006.jpg

IMG004.jpg

Any ideas about what this is? I don't want my other fish getting sick too. I removed the loach to a bucket as I'm pretty sure he's past saving. Poor little guy

No I haven't seen him being bullied by any other fish and the tank is right by the tv so I spend a lot of time watching it. I've put him in a Q tank but he isn't looking good. He isn't eating and is kind of laying lop sided in the corner. If he makes it through the night I'll see about getting some antibiotics.

Any recommendations on what meds I should use?

For bloat Clout is the cure --nothing better ----well we may have something better but you would need a prescription and it still in the trial stage.

Edited by JORG

No he didn't make it :cry: Last night before bed he was barely breathing. I didn't have much hope that he'd recover.

I'm doing a water change on my planted tank today as a precaution and will be watching the rest of the fish carefully.

Thanks for the advice guys

Sorry to hear that, Val. My guess is that your fish was a gravid female, that became egg bound. Not an uncommon thing with loaches, and in severe cases where the eggs are not expelled, or reabsorbed by the fish it can sometimes result in internal complications and death.

The good news is I don't think that you have to worry about your other fish getting sick, IMHO this was not caused by any type of internal pathogen. If by chance you still have the corpse open it up & you'll have your answer.

Edited by RD.