New Motoro Rays?

Im getting two motoro pups here on the weekend. I heard that they do not respond well to any sort of chemicals. My question is, how well do they respond to ammonia remover and carbon? Im wondering if I should load up my fx5 before they arrive.

Hey chris.

Depending on how big ur tank is, I'd recommend with going with two fx5 as rays have an extreme bioload; almost 3x that of an arowana.

Carbon is good to remove impurities and tannins and really is up to your personal preference. My friend has several large black rays and his rays have never been soaked in carbon except when he was removing medication from the tank. I would make sure you have proper filtration first and foremost and get them to start eating. Once you get them eating, all should be good. I'd recommend starting them on blackworms.

Edited by tomuhs

I have a number of rays and I have had a number of pups. I don't use any carbon in my filters at all. LOTS of water changes and you rays will be very happy. Don't play with water chemistry (i.e. pH). What ever comes out of the tap will be good for pH. Just watch pH/ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels as rays can change these levels in a tank real fast if you aren’t doing a lot of water changes. If ammonia levels spike (and they will with new rays) do lots of water changes as this will work better than ammonia/carbon filters.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I'm running a modified fx5 that now holds 12-13L of ceramics rings in my 180 as well as a 13w UV. Ive never had one problem with ammonia/nitrate/nitrite as I was keeping a full stocked frontosa tank. I use something called "tankbuster" from pisces that is basically benefically bacteria used for ammonia spikes.

I do around 30% water changes 1-2 times a week depending. Just with the two pups I dont imagine there will be huge ammonia spikes? I was tossing around the idea of using a rubbermaid container under the tank filled with conditioned tapwater instead of using my waterchanger.

Let me know what you think!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I'm running a modified fx5 that now holds 12-13L of ceramics rings in my 180 as well as a 13w UV. Ive never had one problem with ammonia/nitrate/nitrite as I was keeping a full stocked frontosa tank. I use something called "tankbuster" from pisces that is basically benefically bacteria used for ammonia spikes.

I do around 30% water changes 1-2 times a week depending. Just with the two pups I dont imagine there will be huge ammonia spikes? I was tossing around the idea of using a rubbermaid container under the tank filled with conditioned tapwater instead of using my waterchanger.

Let me know what you think!

The extra amount of bio filtration will definately help. Unfortunately there isn't a bio load calculator out there so I can't really say if it will be ok; what I do know is that a healthy stingray is a always hungry stingray. They will be eating lots so you might want to consider making a wet/dry setup down the road and be sure to clean up all uneaten food. I'd gun for atleast a 6x turnover rate :D

Never had to buy black worms but i'm sure if you call pisces or riverfront, they can hook you up. Hopefully you can get them on Massivore, NLS or whatever your fav brand is.

Lastly, one piece of advice is to get a heater guard since rays are really prone to getting heater burns.

Best of luck and be sure to post pics. I'll be getting a pearl ray this weekend so i'm super stoked too.

Cheers

Edited by tomuhs