Baby Bridgesii Apple Snails

Fin2you

This clutch hatched in about 2 wks I was getting discouraged! new clutch is twice the size of the 1st one. plus I found a store with mystery's... bought 2 more blacks, 2 ivory & 2 golden tonight.... should hopefully get some more baby's

• 2 months later...

hey i have some apple snails. I had about 6 but now have 2. they seems to have dropped off for some reason. I have them in my community tank. serpeas, platys, swordtails, danios, guppies, and plants. loads of mts and the odd rhs.

I feed them a snail food recipe that I got from a member that mostly consists of calcium supps and veggies.

any ideas?

I had some golden mystery snails with my endlers in a 30 gallon,and the endler slowly killed/ate them bit by bit.

I found my live bearers were too agressive to keep snails with them(other than rrh and mts)

so you have had things like guppies and platies pick on your snails? I have been batting around the idea of 'slower tank'. Inverts (ie apples, zebra snails, with some shrimp and stuff) would you think they would fare better in an environment like that?

p.s. fisher gave me your recipe for the snail food, with the tums and whatnot. they seem to really like that. Have you got any experience with what kind of fish food to mix in works the best for them? I mixed some general flake and bloodworm in there. He seems to regard you as a bit of an apple wiz :P He is also who I got the snails from. 1 (still alive) female with white and purple stripes and some blues.

Edited by jamesbarr

Thanks In my experience,yes the endlers were too aggressive too keep my snails with them,but i have never had a problem keeping snails and shrimp together.I have seen people have livebearers with snails but it's kind of hit or miss,sometimes it just wont work together

Good thing fisher gave you the recipe,they really like that stuff.

In the future I'm going to use agar instead of that Knox unflavored jello,the veggie agar is easier for them to digest than the Knox.

I found any food is a good additive for the snails jello,I just use a coffe grinder and grind up some pellets,flakes and some freeze dried foods. I try to mix in different foods and veggies every batch i make so they get different vitamins and such

sweet, thanks for the advice.

I really like these little guys and would like to get good at keeping/breeding them. I guess I need to prevent the death of any possible males haha. By the way, how do you go about sexing them? I assume that you have to wait for them to reach a reasonable size and what not.

I used to go threw the trouble of trying sexing them,now I just wait until I see two doin the deed and seperate them if I want to breed them.

Check out http://www.applesnail.net/

Here is "mystery snail link"-

http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/pomacea_bridgesi.htm

There are a couple snail websites out there but this is the most accurate

Edited by Sprucegruve