Hard Water & Breeding (Discus)

nabilbb

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading alot about breeding Discus Fish and i am getting mixed openions. So please experts in Alberta I need you openion. I live in Calgary as you know the water is hard. so my question is

1. Do eggs of Discus Hatch in Calgary water?

2. Do I need RO water?

3. Is there a place or websiter for RO unit you recomend? (if I need it)

Thank you

Nab

There are a lot of mixed opinions about disuc care and breeding.

I believe there are a couple people in Calgary that have had discus eggs hatch in normal Calgary tapwater.

But I would still recommend softening your water a little bit,but keep in mind I'm new to discus,and have not bread them before.

I have wild caught discus so I thought it would be best to mix a little r/o water with my tap water,if you are getting line bread discus I wouldent be as worried about the hard water because the water in Germany is pretty hard.

But is your getting discus from an Asian farm then you should probably lower the hardness a bit.

But like I said I'm new to discus.

German breeders probably do use r/o water,because there water is so hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading alot about breeding Discus Fish and i am getting mixed openions. So please experts in Alberta I need you openion. I live in Calgary as you know the water is hard. so my question is

1. Do eggs of Discus Hatch in Calgary water?

2. Do I need RO water?

3. Is there a place or websiter for RO unit you recomend? (if I need it)

Thank you

Nab

you need to find out your water test and give us info about your water.

Hard water for discus are excellent for growing. but it would not great for breed.

Soft water for discus breed as apistogramma, blue rams, angelfish, etc.... less than 3 GH/KH less than 200 uS conductivity and less than 120 ppm TDS. Ph does not matter.

Hope the help.

Duncan

Edited by vicdiscus

Having bred German Blue Rams, as well as Angelfish with regular Calgary water, I would suggest just trying it out...its worked fine for me, and people have told me that I needed to soften my water. Just keep up with regular weekly water changes and have them in a breeding tank with a sponge filter.

• 3 weeks later...

peat moss doesn't soften water, it lowes ph. Lower ph, and lower TDS are different thing. Use ro is you want to soften water, but i would also agree with ghostface, try in regular tap water and then if you find you need to soften, then use RO. peat only makes water more acidic

It actually does both, because in order to lower the pH you first have to reduce water buffering capacity by lowering its carbonate hardness (KH). Thast's what organic acids from peat moss do - they first react with carbonates and hydrocarbonates in the water, thus reducing carbonate hardness. Once carbonates and hydrocarbonates are low, free H+ ions concentration rises lowering the pH. So both are achieved by peat moss. RO also reduces general hardness (which peat moss cannot do), and can be used in conjunction with peat moss.

Edited by Znaika

• 1 month later...

It actually does both, because in order to lower the pH you first have to reduce water buffering capacity by lowering its carbonate hardness (KH). Thast's what organic acids from peat moss do - they first react with carbonates and hydrocarbonates in the water, thus reducing carbonate hardness. Once carbonates and hydrocarbonates are low, free H+ ions concentration rises lowering the pH. So both are achieved by peat moss. RO also reduces general hardness (which peat moss cannot do), and can be used in conjunction with peat moss.

That was some good information. thanks.