Building An "importing Walkthrough"

Hi,

I've done some searches but I can't find a clear step by step set of instructions on how to bring fish or plants into Canada from the US or other countries. So, based on contributions from our membership here, I'd like to build such a set of instructions. I'll edit this first post as the process is described and perhaps post different sets of instructions depending on the region/type of import.

Canada Customs isn't exactly clear when it comes to determining if you need your exporter to have an import permit or not. Using the AIRS list, I can tell if the fishy I want is prohibited or not. The AIRS list gives me a printout... does this mean fishy is good to go? I can't tell what I need to do to get the fishy from USA sent to me without it dying in Customs because it didn't have the right paperwork. I've read that you can take them with you while travelling IF they aren't prohibited and you're carrying them with you (good luck getting an airline to let you take them on board). This doesn't help if you just want to send them via USPS. Remember not all aquarium animals need to be sent as airplane cargo (plants/inverts for example).

So, further contributions would be appreciated. :)

This might be more of a specific type of topic than the average pleco/betta Canadian breeder as to why there has not been many offering tips/advice.

There is at least one international dealer here however it might be an insiders game. If a dealer here would give full explanations of their methods/experience they could be cutting off future profit. As with many other things, it is in their best interest not to tell you but offer you a product sheet on which to place an order using them as the importer.

Perhaps give the official routes another go...dunno if you gave customs a few phone calls or not.

Get in touch with Bob Wright, president of CAOAC(Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs). He's working with the CFIA on this. His e-mail will be on the CAOAC website.

There is at least one international dealer here however it might be an insiders game. If a dealer here would give full explanations of their methods/experience they could be cutting off future profit. As with many other things, it is in their best interest not to tell you but offer you a product sheet on which to place an order using them as the importer.

I'm fairly sure there are quite a few members on here that have gone through the process. I don't think anyone importing fish is going to be too worried about the average person knowing their trade secrets. The risk is the same for a one time purchase as it is for a small business. Losses are to be expected. I wanted to do this write up to make it easier for individuals so they can have a better estimate of what level of success they can expect when using aquabid or online stores. Understanding the process will help hobbyists make an informed choice about importing.

Get in touch with Bob Wright, president of CAOAC(Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs). He's working with the CFIA on this. His e-mail will be on the CAOAC website.

Will do, thanks for the lead.