Maxwell

I think I now have the basic equipment to introduce CO2 into my 55 Gallon Tank:

Milwakee CO2 Regulator with Selenoid & bubble counter

The 3 in 1 ceramic diffuser with check valve & bubble counter

I have CO2 going into the tank but when it enters the 3 in 1 apparatus

it kicks out large bubbles that escape to the top

In other words there is no fine stream of bubbles

Whether I adjust the needle valve from 1 bubble to second upwards to 10

makes no difference. Maybe I have a defective ceramic diffuser?

I'm running an Eheim 2213 filter and wonder if I could introduce the C02

through the inlet side of the filter but not sure if that is a viable alternative?

Would an airstone work?

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Large bubbles on a ceramic diffuser means to me poor quality. Give this a go...put up the co2 a bit and see if ANY smaller bubbles come out or if they are just large. If just large get a replacement as it's not working as it should. If there are smaller bubbles you can also put a small dap of proper silicon over that little area where the larger bubbles leave the diffuser. That will seal that area, but do this only as a last resort. I've done this method and has worked well, stopping the large guys and allowing smaller to escape.

You can give bamboo a try. You know those dried bamboo scewers for cooking? That sort of idea and shove it into the co2 output line in your tank. While I have not tried this method it has worked very well from what I've read on the net.

Putting the output co2 line into the intake of your filter will also do the job. I tend to like this method as it'll dissolve imo more bubble and well, less 'stuff' on the side of the tank. Co2 is best in a tank with little top surface agitation, so point your filter output slightly down away from the water's top.

I'd stay away from airstones as they are very pourus. If you wanted to give that direction a try, give those bubble wands a go. I've also done that and it has worked quite well. You might need to seal the ends of the wand to the little plastic base as I needed to do.

While this will increase the clutter on the side of the tank, bubble ladders can also be used. They are effective but the filter route would be better. I've used store bought and also made. Interesting to watch the bubble rise on the ladder as it gets smaller and smaller!

Edited by ckmullin

The filter route will work, but I found it too noisy from my perspective, as my tank was in my room.

I use a diffuser like this but bigger: Diffuser.

Most airstones produce too large of bubbles, unless you find one of those wooden ones meant for very fine bubbles in a saltwater skimmer, but the diffuser still works better.

The filter route will work, but I found it too noisy from my perspective, as my tank was in my room.

I use a diffuser like this but bigger: Diffuser.

Most airstones produce too large of bubbles, unless you find one of those wooden ones meant for very fine bubbles in a saltwater skimmer, but the diffuser still works better.

I've got a diffuser just like that, Boyu brand and it's got a hole internally so the CO2 doesn't go up the spiral, the quality seems kind of flakey and junky but it still works fine as a diffuser. I picked it up at Aquagiant for about $10, but I know that Aquarium Central offers something similar for a couple bucks more.

Maxwell, I've heard good things about the Fluval diffuser, plus they're cheap as heck and replacement ceramic media is available: http://ca-en.hagen.c...pplements/A7548

You can also look at doing an inline diffuser, something like this: http://greenleafaqua...iffuser-12.html

Or you can go with an inline reactor, either like this: http://www.plantedta...o2-reactor.html

or like this: http://www.rexgrigg....diy-reactor.htm

Reactors will give more complete dissolution of CO2 into the water without the misty spray of bubbles that an inline diffuser can cause. I'm just getting my CO2 up and running but I've been reading all I can about it for a few months now so I'm just all chock full of knowledges!

Edited by blink

I always just put the CO2 into the INTAKE (not the venturi) of a powerhead to get a fine mist of CO2 spread throughout the tank. There are a few plant gurus (I first learned the trick from Tom Barr) that have seen markedly better results with a fine CO2 mist than 100% dissolution, and I can't say that I've seen a plant that didn't enjoy the mist in my tanks over the years - especially carpet plants like pygmy chain sword and Glosso. Place the powerhead as low in the tank as possible to get full distribution.

I fed my co2 line to the intake of the Eihem 2213.

You can see the bubbles travelling up the tube so assume when the bubbles hit the impeller they break up.I don't see any bubbles being ejected from the outake .line so could thismean a total dissolution in the water column?

If I don't see plants greening up in a week, I may employ another method. Dovil suggests a powerhead. I don't have any water pumps circulating water..Should I put one in the system to move water around? I've read that moving water is benefical to both plants and fish so maybe using a pump in conjenction with co2 might work better. For a 55 gallon tank that will be stocked with a lot of plants, what kind of powerhead would you suggest?

As near as I can guess,I am showing about 3-4 bubbles a second on the counter..There is a co2 indicator inside the tank..

The type that indicated Blue when no co2, yellow,too much and Green, the ideal range..It looks like a pale green to me..

I fed my co2 line to the intake of the Eihem 2213.

You can see the bubbles travelling up the tube so assume when the bubbles hit the impeller they break up.I don't see any bubbles being ejected from the outake .line so could thismean a total dissolution in the water column?

If I don't see plants greening up in a week, I may employ another method. Dovil suggests a powerhead. I don't have any water pumps circulating water..Should I put one in the system to move water around? I've read that moving water is benefical to both plants and fish so maybe using a pump in conjenction with co2 might work better. For a 55 gallon tank that will be stocked with a lot of plants, what kind of powerhead would you suggest?

If you see nothing coming out, then yes, total dissolution. Not a bad thing. :)

Don't really need a water pump, however if you wanted it doesn't hurt. Some fish like less current some more. Same with plants.

Pale green is still good. More pale might mean on the higher side of the 'optimum' range.