More Problems In 100 Gal

riverpirate

On top of my assassin snail plague, It seems like I may be battling a disease in my tank. A couple of weeks ago I was passing by big als in edmonton and saw they had female dwarf gouramis for sale. This seemed like a great idea as my males have seemed to be a bit fighty as of late. So about two weeks passed and I lost two of the females and a male. Then this morning I woke up to find another male down(about a month since purchase) . Also my apistos have seemed to be rubbing a bit. Makes me think ich.

Im a little hesitant to try a chemical treatment as my apistos are still young and Ive heard the treatrments can cause sterility in the younger fish.... any ideas here? Ive increased temperature and am going to add a bit of salt here today.

Water changes. Clean water does wonders. I've gotten rid of fungal problems just by doing extra water changes and raising the temp for a few days.

I usually treat ich with just salt. If it is really bad, I will move the fish to a dedicated quarantine tank and use salt and a chemical called coppersafe.

I usually add about 1tsp of salt per 5 gallons. I quarantine all fish before they enter my tank (some of my plants don't like as much salt as I would use if the fish had ich.

As for your assassins, sell them. Even advertise on Kijiji, honest for 50 cents, or $1 ea they will go like wildfire (I wish mine would breed).

well my male apistos are definately rubbing now, picked up some melafix, primafix, and kordon ich attack 100% natural... Should I do one of these at a time or do a broad spectrum treatment since so many different species have been added recently?

And i just traded buying a new dresser to buy myself a quarntine tank!

If a fish is scratching, and you see no ich spots, it is probably gill flukes or poor water quality. What are your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at? If not 0,0 and less than 50. It's the water.

well, chemical levels are all good. 0, 0 , 5 ph 7.

Keeping temperature up at 82F, Increased aeration.

Just got a canister filter yesterday. Got it up and running alongside the power filter until the bacteria can establish in the canister. Also added some used media into the canister in place of the chemical stage as Im planted and levels are always low. Any Idea how long I should leave the old power filter going?

status update: Lost my beta male apisto while I was out of town working and the girlfriend was continuing treatment. But it seems that all is back to normale. Im about to do a large water change in the morning. was going to remove all decorations and give them a bleach bath, and vacuum the heck out of the gravel and continue with heat for a little while longer. On the plus side, my little puffers have done a number on the snail problem in both tanks. and SUPER excited. My kribensis have decided to spawn in the lil 30g non ich tank!!!

Hey, I kind-of came in late here considering that we've kind-of established it likely wasn't ich but on the topic of getting RID of ich: if you turn your temp up to 85-86 degrees, it will almost kill ich over night. It simply can't live in that kind of heat.

Glad to hear your tank has stabilized though.