Planaria In My Crystal And Cherry Shrimp Tank

nancyr

15 gallon tank, heavily planted with moss and driftwood. Hundreds of cherry shrimp and shrimpettes all breeding like mad, and now, after one long year one of my 6 crystals reproduced, well I saw 6 shrimpettes the other day, now two. I do 25% water changes every other day, but because of the pin head size of the baby cherry shrimp I put a piece of pantyhose over the hose and strain water from the top of the tank. I add Aqua Plus to the replaced water as I read not to use Prime for shrimp. I then noticed what research revealed to be planaria. (lots of planaria!) Is there a chemical I can use that won't hurt my shrimp. I can't vacuum as I would eliminate all my babies. I increased the feedings thinking the shrimp needed more food. The only filteration is two sponge filters and there is a bubble bar in the tank as well. HELP!

Nancy

Google >>Panacur it contains >(fenbendazole) .I use this for planaria and anouther creature that i can,t remember the name of but i watched it eat one of my baby shrimps.

there are a lot of discussions as to the dosage but i found that .01 or 1/10th of a gram per 10 gal did the job for me , with No shrimp loss. I understand that Some snails may

die from it but i had no loss what so ever . Please do some reading about the use of it (Panacur) . I got a 4.5 gram pack from my Vet. for $9. cheaper than the pet store stuff.

Good Luck

Lee

thanks Ray and Lee, I will do some reading, I am in Calgary so will phone around to see if anyone carries No Planaria and do the reading tonight. Hideous things.

Nancy

I am on day two of the no planaria from Canadian aquatics and it seems to be working great, I just vacumned out lots of dead planaria and no ill effects on my shrimp or my nerites

I recomend "No Planaria" from Canadian Aquatics. Its natural (NO CHEMICALS) and very easy to use.

Used it in a tank of breeding Black Schultzi cories. The fish actualy spawned during the treatment.

No ill effects on the eggs or fry

thanks everyone, I have ordered No Planaria from Patrick and it is on its way today. My vet, who does house calls, is on vacation so decided not to go the panacure route. Hideous disgusting outbreak so hopefully it will be resolved

Nancy