Mangrove Tree Updates Anyone?

Mokos

I started this thread because I really like the look of mangroves in aquariums.... And you tube just wasn't doin it for me. Well the real reason is I'm jelous I don't have a set up to have any lol :D

So all you members who got some a while back show em off if you wouldnt mind :)

Sprucegrove that sucks man, at least all your tanks have a little extra filtration :)

As for having them in freshwater I'm pretty sure you can. Sprucegrove had a bunch of links to read and I read more myself. I don't know if they need Any addiditives to have them in F.W I don't think so. I've seen them before at big als for 25 bucks each I asked if they get them in frequently and they said no not to often. There pretty cool looking in general and have big benefits in aquariums. I'm hoping to throw some in my future sump set up.

Edited by Mokos

not many members got any.i dont drive and noone wanted to come to spruce grove.

i endded up biting the bullet and keeping over 15.

How long would they be okay in a 5g tank? I could buy one next time I'm over. I didn't realized what you had was more than you were planning to keep. I have such a nice idea for a custom made tank to feature the tree. Think it would be okay to be moved a few times til I can build the tank? I have no idea how quickly they grow.

not many members got any.i dont drive and noone wanted to come to spruce grove.

i endded up biting the bullet and keeping over 15.

How long would they be okay in a 5g tank? I could buy one next time I'm over. I didn't realized what you had was more than you were planning to keep. I have such a nice idea for a custom made tank to feature the tree. Think it would be okay to be moved a few times til I can build the tank? I have no idea how quickly they grow.

lets put it this way,they have only grown about 1inch -1.5 inch since i got them........the leaves originally all died off,now they have regrown to my lighting spectrum.

doing good but slow growers,the ones that i dont have in fish tanks yet are growing slightly quicker because i can use ferts what would normally kill fish.

I am curious about this too, I have never seem them for sale in calgary. Do they need a salt water or brackish? because I just have fresh water :cry:

they were in full saltwater when i bought them,i have slowly acclimated them to like 2% brackish,i hope to get them on full fresh

lets put it this way,they have only grown about 1inch -1.5 inch since i got them........the leaves originally all died off,now they have regrown to my lighting spectrum.

doing good but slow growers,the ones that i dont have in fish tanks yet are growing slightly quicker because i can use ferts what would normally kill fish.

Glad that they didn't all die off. I'll buy one for sure. After thinking about it, it would be great for my shell dweller tank, since they uproot everything, but I think a tree would be a bit hard for them to uproot. I'd love to see them swimming around the roots with the shells at the bottom. Though with how slow they grow, that'd be a few years lol Oh well, at least I won't have to rush to build the custom tank :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't part of the group buy for the trees, but I have kept a group of Trees in my freshwater aquarium since late Febuary, I bought them as propuals, so no leaves or roots, as I read that they adapt better this way. I also read that once they have leaves and roots its very difficult to adapt them to differing water conditions, which could account for the difficulty that some people are having. I think a big key to there growth is light, I am growing them in an LED lit tank running running nearly 70watts of cree leds. There growth was rather slow until about a month and a half ago when they started to get closer to my back set of lights, once they got within 8 inches of the lights, there leaves became a much lighter green, there leaves became bigger, closer spaced together, and some of my trees are even starting to branch out. I go follow the estimative index fertilizer routine as this is a densely planted tank.

7549462078_415c2fc60d.jpg

Untitled by MechEcub, on Flickr

7549459518_45cae5bcc2.jpg

7549454002_ba046afbc8.jpg

7549449630_e7117a420a.jpg

7549445310_c5eb0f8833.jpg

This one is the same age but in another tank on the other side of the room, same fertilizer scheme but lower light, I just changed my light fixture two weeks ago to try and get it more light so I'm hoping this little guy will catch up to his siblings

7549469096_86984f3296.jpg

Just for reference, the larger tank is a 20L with Flourite Dark, Play Sand, Kitty LItter and Peat for substrate with the bottome of the propuals aobut 3 to 4 inches above the substrate rooted into it.

This is my second go around with Mangroves as my trees last year were doing well but then a small kitten decided they tasted good and literally broke them all in half.

Edited by theokie

Hey all have some more pics. Sprucegrove sent me a bunch last night as his iPad is being goofy.

95914d9a.jpg

single T5ho sunblaster as a light source

dbb6d61e.jpg

6e3d3df6.jpg

Group shot

3861c082.jpg

Romane lettuces in aero garden as a size comparison

a905f0cf.jpg

Leaf growth

1efdfc13.jpg