Advice For Moving My Tank

hey all,

My wife and I have decided to move to bigger digs, since she is now about 18 weeks preggo, The place we are in now is too small for the 2 of us and our son as it is, so adding another child will make it a little cramped. Not to mention the columbian cloud that looms around the neighbours door in the common hall that Ive now had to explain to my 3 year old son.

This brings me to ask about the tank. Its a 36gal with a bunch of different fish. The fish arent what Im so worried about tho since I have a couple small tanks that could serve as temp homes for the 3 minute walk to the new place. however I have a lot of rocks in my substrate that hold all the plantscape together. My sub is sand otherwise.

How much weight can the bottom of my tank hold? its typical thickness of glass for the size of tank. 1/4 to maybe 3/8 ish? Do I have to tank my scape apart while I carry it over? It will obviously be totally drained of water.

Any advice?

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the best thing to do is to take everything apart move the tank empty and re-do everything again. You can get some rubber maids to hold the plans, substrate, etc...

Better safe than sorry, unless you have the cash to buy a new tank if the worse takes place :cry:

if you have any sort of handy skills make a small platform. plywood base and 2x4 for support and "handles". If it is only a very short walk give a bud some beer and the two of you walk it over.

don't remove the substrate etc but remove as much water as you can. cover the top to keep the humidity in. when you get to your destination flood it to cover the plants.

done deal. I've moved my 29 gal full with substrate and plant by myself so a 36 gal with two people would be a breeze. you don't have to tear it apart.

I wouldn't worry about the glass. There was a youtube video posted here a few years ago (can not find now) where a guy piled like 15 cinder blocks in a 10 gallon tank and it still didn't break. If you can carry it --you are good.

congratulations! a new baby and a new home is great news!

a 3 minute walk sounds like you're not loading it in a vehicle. a 36 with substrate and rock can be quite a load to carry 3 for minutes. how many times will you shift the weight or rest along the way? (rhetorical question). you are obviously concerned. maybe it would be worth the work to take the rock out, if not to lighten your load, then for piece of mind.

and after dealing with inconsiderate neighbors, maybe you could use a healthy dose of piece of mind.

good luck in your move!

Edited by Chelsea

tank move was successful. The most stressful part of the move for me is now over! woohoo! Now all I can do is wait and see who gets stressed out. I kept as much water as would be left behind from a good w/c and put that same water back into the tank. that should make everything ok.

Thanks again for the help y'all!