My Otopharynx Lithobates Are Spawning!

mharding4

When you received them there was a dominant male and a sub dominant one. A third may be a bit too much for a small tank. Not enough real estate.

You could sell a 1m 2 f trio. I would think that could fix up the problem. In a perfect world I would ditch one male, but that can be tough some times. Unless there is someone out there with an all male tank who wants him. But like Sheldon said, maybe start with a powerhead, if nothing else it will circulate water...

Jay, turns out there was 4 males. Now I have three with 4 females i think lol I might get rid of another one. I have a potential person to give him too.

Turns out yesturday another female spit out her eggs which are a nice orange/brown color. I put them in a 'tumbler' like a brine shrimp hatcher...and today most of the eggs have eyes and stick bodies attached to the eggs!!.. im excited they are hatching.. :rofl:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have pictures of my first spawn of babies. They are now about 3 cms long with little marks on their bodies. I put them in with my smaller rainbows because i now have two more spawns of babies in my 10 gallon. There are probably about 100 new babies though I know that not all will make it. I hope I can find homes for them all :) Its unfortunate that they take forever to be able to sex them. Pictures here on my photobucket. First 4 pictures are newest. http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh607/mharding4/Otopharynx%20Lithobates/