Need Advice For Feeding Picky Arowana!

Try feeding her living super worms, crickets, or frozen shrimp. Also check all parameters in the new tank, because if something is wrong in the new tank she might be stressed and starve herself to death.

We changed the water and tested it it's fine, I don't know what else would do it? I'm new to these guys! (:

What kind of arowana is it, asian,silver,black?

Where did you get it from a lfs,hobbiest or is it a new import from an Asian arowana farm?

Newly imported arowana will take longer to start eating then one that came from another hobbiest or a local fish store.

What was it eating before you purchased it and did you see it eat before you bought it?

What kind of arowana is it, asian,silver,black?

Where did you get it from a lfs,hobbiest or is it a new import from an Asian arowana farm?

Newly imported arowana will take longer to start eating then one that came from another hobbiest or a local fish store.

What was it eating before you purchased it and did you see it eat before you bought it?

She's a silver arowana we purchased at Big Al's, she was about an inch long 2 months ago. She was eating the blood worms by the bucket load but since we moved her to a bigger tank she is very finicky.

This issue has been documented on several sites, I suggest running a quick search on google.

But I do want to help a fellow hobbyist so I will summarize several things you can do :

1. Starve the arowana. This process can take up to several months

2. Soak pellets in fav food juices (ie bloodworms or MP) in conjunction with starving.

3. Make a MP sandwich with the pellets stuffed inside.

4. Gut loading SW and crickets

5. Add some other fish that take pellets.

Silvers tend to be easier to convert over to pellets. Furthermore, it can take a while for the arowana to acclimate to the new tank; which gives you a good opportunity to starve them until they eat pellet. Wish you best of luck

Edited by tomuhs

Try feeding her living super worms, crickets, or frozen shrimp. Also check all parameters in the new tank, because if something is wrong in the new tank she might be stressed and starve herself to death.

How long can they go without food?

I had my 24" black arowana go 3 months without eating. If yours was healthy when it stopped eating it will be okay for a while. Arowanas have known to go off food for long periods of time for certain reasons.

How long can they go without food?

I had my 24" black arowana go 3 months without eating. If yours was healthy when it stopped eating it will be okay for a while. Arowanas have known to go off food for long periods of time for certain reasons.

Whoa okay! And here I was panicking after a week!