Molting Requirements?

creekbottom

What does a cherry shrimp require to molt?

I have a 5.5 gallon tank, black reptile sand, lace rock, plants filling in. I've been adding cherry shrimp from a different tank. What I have noticed is that when I add the new shrimp to the tank, they molt. However, I lost one to an incomplete molt, he couldn't get out of his shell. This morning I noticed another shrimp had molted, but was curled up a bit more than usual. When I returned home it was dead.

Any suggestions?

Some shrimp(even if healthy) just might not make a molt.was it full grown or a baby shrimp?

A healthy shrimp should molt minimum once a month as its growing

Otherwise,it may need more calcium or micro nutrience of somekind.

I find those calcium rocks that Canadian aquatics works well,the shrimp just pick at the rock as they want.

What does a cherry shrimp require to molt?

I have a 5.5 gallon tank, black reptile sand, lace rock, plants filling in. I've been adding cherry shrimp from a different tank. What I have noticed is that when I add the new shrimp to the tank, they molt. However, I lost one to an incomplete molt, he couldn't get out of his shell. This morning I noticed another shrimp had molted, but was curled up a bit more than usual. When I returned home it was dead.

Any suggestions?

I always just use tap water; so, if you're using RO, you might want to go to just tap water. Otherwise, they say iodine is crucial in crustacean molting, so you might want to add a small pinch of table salt.

Interesting,I never thought if he was using r/o

If it does come down to calcium though,i occasionally give my shrimp a small piece of snail jello and they seem to do well.

Edited by Sprucegruve