Lights For A Planted Aquarium

Timothy

Hey there I was wondering what lights would be sufficient to grow a heavily planted 30 gallon tall. Right now I have a coralife dual fixture but one of the bulbs is out. The bulb is rated at 6700kt and 65 watts

Thanks

Assuming you have CO2 and ferts, you should be good. Set the CO2 to 2-3 bubbles/sec and dose your ferts and watch your plants grow.

BTW, if you don't already have lots of plants, get more; or, keep your light to just 8hrs a day or raised a few inches above the tank until things grow in.

I don't have co2 or ferts yet. I do have it pretty dense with plants though. I just set it up yesterday, and plan on getting fert's and co2 today. I would add another bulb to bring the total wpg to 4 but I think I broke the fixture trying to get the old light out. Any good recommendations for a co2 system and ferts?

I have:

2 anubias barteri

2 shinnersia rivularis

1 java fern

3 echinodorus tenellus

2 echinodorus bleheri

2 lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Thanks for the help!

You might not need another bulb or co2 with your current plant list. The replacement pc bulbs are very expensive, so you could swap to a double t5 fixture or a single t5ho when you need to replace it after 8-12 months of use.

Actually, the replacement bulbs are a bit cheaper if you get the hamilton ones(40 as opposed to 60 at pisces) and CAS members get discounts on them too. Start with a good general fertiliser and perhaps some root tabs for the swords too. As for CO2, if you use only the one bulb, you probably won't need it.