I Need To Catch Some Pond Fish

Bandi

So, to make a long story short, there is a 40 by 40 foot by 18 foot deep dug out that is full of koi and fancy gold fish that need to be removed.

What type of net should I use.

Ideally the dug out was going to be drained, but now it looks like I will have to remove the fish without the help of lowering the water.

Any suggestions as to how I might do this?

The fish range in size from two inches to about 1.5 feet.

Edited by Bandi

You can pick up 20' seine nets at the fishing hole or rig up an electro shocker

Are the nets pricey? I will need at least two for a 40 foot dug out.

Will the shocker kill the fish ( we are hoping to save them, not kill them) Where do I find info on how to build a shocker?

I bought my net 20 years ago for about 30 bucks lol. Not sure what they cost now. Electro shockers just stun the fish and make em float to the top. I have never used one or built one but there is alot of info available on google.

Edited by JORG

spoons12.jpg

Ya , ok. very funny. There are hundreds of them. And I don't want to hurt the fish.

But on second thought, that might be fun. I do love fishing.

But I need them alive!

What is it that you are saving them from? Are you moving and trying to take some with you? Without lowering the water level you will never get them all. The seine net is your best bet though. I am sure you can get one wide and deep enough, but it will cost you.

So, I took some of the advice here and went fishing. We had a blast, spent many hours and caught a handful of fish. My five year old caught the first two fish, he was thrilled.

We brought them home and took some photos of them in their big tank.

The town wants to fill the pond in because it is not fenced and poses a threat to young people who might fall in (it is cut very steep) The pond is on private land that has been abandoned and is within the town limits. So the town is trying to work with the owner of the land, but he is putting up a fight. But in the meantime, I have been given permission to catch the fish if I can.