Advice On Growing A Blue Jack

inlovewithjack

Hi Everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 2-3" Electric Blue Jack Demspsey after obessing over them for weeks. She is currenlty in a 30 gallon with a very passive convict (had to seperate him from my convict tank as he wasn't being allowed to eat). I call her a she as I believe she is female but only time will tell. I have posted one of her first photos. She is really pale but she was being dominated by a larger (one eyed) EBJD in the petstore - so I'm hoping her color will flare up in the next couple of days.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help her get past 4". I will be purchasing a large tank next month (have my eye on a 72 gallon bow front at the moment if not something bigger).

Also I noticed that she had poop stuck to her - Its brown and it just seems that shes a little conspicated. Is this due to the move from the petstore and maybe the change in food *I never asked what they were feeding her* but I have been feeding her Full spectrum Cichlid Pellets (the very small ones), Tetra Cichlid Flakes, and blood worms (Frozen and thawed, and also the ones that come in a jar kinda like flakes).

Any advise on what types of food would make her colors more vibrant? She seems very happy and healthy and I haven't noticed any problems between her and the convict but the convict is quite a bit smaller than her.

Any suggestions on keeping her happy and healthy would be greatly appreicated. As well as suggestions on a canister filter as after upgrading to a large tank - I would like to try a canister filter. I was thinking Fluval - but have no expeience iwth anything other than AquaClear.

Here is the photo I have of her - Its too large to upload in the post.

http://s1071.beta.photobucket.com/user/Aphrodite_Apollo/media/ee24b750.jpg.html

I was thinking about adding a Blue gene jack demspsey or another electric blue. Should I wait until they get bigger? or is it best to add them to the tank now while they are all young? My blue was being bullied at the petstore and I don't want her to start hiding due to a dominance problem. Any suggestions are helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Ive had to take the convict out as he was bullying the jack dempsey. She must be the most passive jack ever. Is there any suggestions for tank mates? I am upgrading her this weekend to a 50 gallon with a 36"x18" footprint and will be upgrading her futher later on to either a 75 or 90 (maybe even larger). Any suggestions would be helpful. I feel sorry for her being so lonely.

Grow her on her own to reduce stress...ebjd are more passive than regular jacks. We sometimes think that fish are lonely when they are okay. Put some easy community that are passive if you really need to put something in there. Platies, guppies, etc. at least the babies can be hunted for food.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was certain that she was a he because of the shape of the fins so I changed her name from Aphrodite to Posiden (ive got a greek theme going). He is now just getting his mature spotting and I am going to wait a few weeks for it to all come in so I have a better look - But I acutally believe she is a beautiful female. Still not certain though - I will post pictures in the next couple of weeks to see if anyone can help sexing her.

• 1 year later...