Sexing Albino Corys

NewEpidemic

Heyy everyone I have a brown cory and a albino cory Dont know the technical names for there specific breed of corys but I read in a book that the females are larger and more round in the front then the males there both the same age but my brown cory is larger then my albino Just wondering if the albinos are smaller or not Thanks in advance!!

The "brown cory" you have is probably a Bronze Cory which is Corydoras aeneus and the albino one is likely also a Corydoras aeneus. The best way to sex them is looking from the top down, the males will be slick and streamlined (well, as streamlined as corys can be) and the females will be much more plump.

Even though they're the same species in all likelihood they will be difficult to breed (if that's what you have in mind) because fish don't know what species the fish around them are.. They focus on the appearance of the other fish (therefore the bronze cory will look at the albino and be less inclined to breed due to the albinos coloration). Either way, if you're looking for albino babies you likely won't get them from this pair since albinism is a recessive gene so the fry would default to bronze.

Hope this helps!

Edited by jeremoose

Not looking to breed just looking to sex them I have named everyone of my animals fish included soo wanted to know the sex so I could name them proper I named them cory {albino) and dora ( Bronze) Thought it was cute and Ironic Thanks soo much I was hoping they would not breed have to many other animals to try and deal with babes lol Thanks soo much for the well need and appreciated info

Albino and bronzes both get very large length wise, females are very round and longer than males, males can have a squarish look when viewed from the top, takes a bit for them to grow out, sounds like the bronze could be female, but I have found my albinos grow a bit slower than the rest so depending on age, time will tell, hope it helps

i agree with them not likely breeding, if they are indeed opposite genders. i kept 4 different species of cories together in a tank and was able to confirm that at least one of each species was female. never had any cross breeding, ever. they would often breed within the same species though.

there are many species of fish that are not possible to sex unless they are in the process of mating, so i would just pick a name that you like for the cories, and not worry about them getting any sort of gender complex disorder due to their names, lol.