Nitrite Not Coming Down In New Aquarium

molan

I have a new 90 gal aquarium that I put 4 fish into 2 weeks ago. before I put the fish in I seeded the tank with a few hand fulls of substrate, rocks, accessories and the filter sponge from an established aquarium to try and get the cycle going. the tank has 2 Rena Filstar xp2 filters on it.

My ammonia level is at a constant 0ppm but I can't get the nitrite's to come down. The seem to be sitting around 1 - 2 ppm (its hard to tell the shades of purple apart) for about a week now. I have been changing water daily and treating the tank with Prime water conditioner (it is supposed to also detoxify Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate) but with no results.

My nitrates are registering on the test at around 2ppm

Am I just being impatient or is there something else I can to to get the nitrite levels to drop?

Thanks

Hi there and welcome,

Nitrite cycle takes the longest; one day you'll have 0 ppm and you'll be good to go. Took me 1 week for nitrite on a seeded tank as well. You have some nitrate readings meaning that you're almost home free. Wouldn't be surprised if it was cycled by tomorrow.

Edited by tomuhs

Hi there and welcome,

Nitrite cycle takes the longest; one day you'll have 0 ppm and you'll be good to go. Took me 1 week for nitrite on a seeded tank as well. You have some nitrate readings meaning that you're almost home free. Wouldn't be surprised if it was cycled by tomorrow.

He's pretty much got it. If you've got some hardy fish in there I would just ride it out and you'll be reading normal in no time.

just keep that Prime dosed at 5x to keep the nitrite from poisoning the fish.

which test kit are you using? nitrate at 2ppm? that's a pretty small reading to register on the API kit, which starts at 5ppm after the yellow zero at the top of the card. my eyes are pretty good, but even i wouldn't be able to decifer the minute change in yellow/orange shade for 2 ppm.

I have the api freshwater master test kit, and I definitely get a reading. 0 is blue results are different shades of purple. mine is purple and I have 4 small butterfly koi and on small regular koi in the tank

http://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Pharm-Freshwater-Master-Test/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347672939&sr=8-1

Okay, you've got a tank going for over 2 weeks and have seeded it too. There's fish living in it and they're doing fine, right?? Quit testing your water and start adding some more fish gradually. Sounds like your tank is ready and it's time to start enjoying it!!

yes, the fish seem to be doing fine. they are active and eat like mini horses. I tested again and the nitrite appears to be gone today finally! looks like I am through the cycle and ready to add more fish finally!