Plant ID

Milan

That is not a Ceratophyllum ssp. at all, much less Ceratophyllum echinatum or Ceratophyllum demersum, the only two hornworts found in BC. Unless I am greatly mistaken, that is Myriophyllum sibiricum, AKA nothern water milfoil....but be careful, as since it is from BC, there is a chance that it could be Myriophyllum spicatum, AKA Eurasian watermilfoil (something you can catch some very serious trouble for transporting anywhere.)....bot my botany skills are a smidge less sharp than some....any confirmations on my ID?

Thanks Toirtis,

I've done some Google research on this species, and it looks convincing. What would be the concern about transporting this plant? Are there any legal restrictions, or perhaps danger to my tank ..?

Edited by Milan

Whereas northern water milfoil is a native species, Eurasian water milfoil is an imported, highly invasive weed (and listed as a dangerous, noxious weed)...so bad that a small piece dropped into a lake needs only a couple-three years to completely choke the lake. While in BC, you may have noticed the very numerous and large signs that warn about the potential accidental transmission of water milfoil (particularly by boat owners)....this stuff is the aquatic equivalent of purple loosestrife.

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/publications/inv/p1_e.cfm

http://www.invasivespecies.gov/profiles/watermilfoil.shtml