Blue Ram Fry

cullymoto

Hi there, my Blue ram pair have yet again laid eggs. I do believe that they eat the eggs as they hatch after the 48 hour "gestation".

This time they laid their eggs on a flat stone that would be very easy to remove to a 10g to hatch without the parents present, I have yet to do this as the question then becomes, "what do I do with 100 baby blue rams?"

If there was an interest in them I could hatch them.

Would anyone in the edmonton area be interested? I will link a pic of "mom and dad" with the eggs very soon

If you're not quite experienced raising fry artificially, there's a good chance that most won't make it to sellable size and quality - and that's a good thing! If you end up with 20 good quality fish out of 100 hatched, you're doing a great job.

Go ahead and remove the eggs this time and give it a go. If they're doing well by the next time your fish spawn again, leave the next batch with the patents and see if they figure things out - it often takes them many tries.

looking at the picture now, and comparing it to the way the fish look naturally...

I would have to say that they are not as blue as they show in the photo. They are pretty, and typical blue rams however.

At this point I think I will be leaving them in the community tank they are currently in.

This is their 4th spawn, maybe they will let the eggs become wigglers... 4th time is the charm?

Besides, I have a new shipment of discus arriving tomorrow, so '/m going to be a little busy with them in their QT as is without having to have another 10g to look after babies...

Edited because I cannot spell

Edited by cullymoto

wonder if i set up a "breeding net" over the stone with the eggs on it, if the parents would abondon them, continue to fan them, and not be able to eat them.... i dont know... It sure is fun watching them grab air bubbles from the air stone, then try to release the air bubbles onto the clutch of eggs... hilarious!

I should figure out how to get a video onto this site...

if they do hatch it would be in approximately 24 hours from now...