New Blood Parrot Cichlid

inlovewithjack

I just brought home a new Panda Blood Parrot cichlid yesterday. I currently have him in a established 30 gallon for quartentne until i move him to a 55 gallon fish tank. I have noticed that it appears that he has white spots on his tail and I fear that it is ick. What is the best way to treat him? He is the only fish in the 30 gallon (i did not want to add him to the 55 as I have a blue jack demspey in there at the moment). He is very shy and since he is new I don't know if this is the normal for him. Everytime you walk by him he will turn on his side and plays dead. I havent been able to get him to eat yet but this could be beacuse he is still adjusting to his new tank. Any advice would be very helpful.

To fight ich and other parasites, I raise the temp to 82F, and add 1 tbsp salt (sea or aquarium) per 5 gal. You may need to add an airstone to keep O2 levels up, as warm salty water doesn't hold it as well as normal tank water.

Keep it like this for at least 10 days and you should be good. After 10 days, do a 50% WC and return temp to normal.

is treating with medication I did purchase some medications - I believe its called ick -x but its suppose to treat other items as well. Would it be smart to treat him - it has copper in it apparently or will it damage him in the long term. Looks like the Ick is in the early stages - Im currently disassembling his tank so I can move it into a low traffic area and removing the decorations and gravel so they don't get colored from the meds.

The method I described will kill ich w/o medication. It won't kill beneficial bacterial and won't discolor your tank/ornaments... But, ultimately it's up to you. I'm just trying to help you skip some extra steps and/or 'mistakes'