Tank Stand Build

jamesbarr

Beautifully done! I used to build roof trusses, garage pkges, floor joists, cabinets and have to say most of the people I worked with arent has handy as you :-D inspiration for me to stop being lazy and build a stand for my 35 tall instead of trying to buy an ugly cheap one

• 2 weeks later...

I considered for a long time of building my own - finally I found a stand on clearance at a store that suits me good enough for now. What you built is awesome - totally sturdy and if you decide to stain it up, it'll look even better. Good job!

• 1 month later...

Updated tank pic.

Now have in there 7 serpae tetras, 10 white cloud minnows, 3 rainbows, 3 albino corys, 2 ablino hifin plecos, a couple dumb guppies, and a platy. waiting to get that 'perfect piece' of DW for height and something to tie anubius to. I also want to get some angels and a school of rasboras. :)

20130101172213.jpg

Edited by jamesbarr

So the new fun and games has begun. Time to build my sons tanks stand. Its for a 20 gal yet to be set up. Here we go.

20130103151748.jpg

Went to the other, measured up the size I need. I plan to get the stand to match up to the other side by side ending at the corner of the wall.

20130103143049.jpg

Went outside to set up my work station. The bench was my tank stand for the 33 gal that was in the beginning of this thread. All work together by accident. I lament not having planned it that way, but here I am with it any ways :)

20130103145326.jpg

After drawing up my plans, I have figured out all the lengths I need and go about cutting them all. I like to get things all cut at once, then put it all together at once. Keeps me organized and thinking in a step by step fashion. Things just go smoother for me that way.

20130103150332.jpg

Beginning construction of the 'walls'. Ive chosen to keep my pattern from the previous build with 'walls' and 'decks'. Keeps things streamline.

20130103170939.jpg

Like with my previous build, I have sheeted the base 'deck' right away. This way the sheeting isnt a problem to put in later on when the 'walls' are attached.

20130103173358.jpg

Rear and side 'wall' framing complete. Front is not the way it will be when complete. This just gives you the rough Idea. Ive run out of screws and intend to finish assembling the whole thing in the morning. After which I will sheet the 'walls' and finally the upper 'deck'. You may notice that I have chosen not to paint the base 'deck' sheeting. I did this in the previous build for a water repellent as I had intended to put my canister in the stand below the tank. However this 20 gal will be HOB so the interior will stay dry, nothing to worry about :) However I do intend on painting the top with the same black oil based paint as I did in the other build.

Finish this in the morning. ttfn!

Edited by jamesbarr

Alrighty. So here we go to wrap up the build of my sons stand and mostly complete my corner unit desk.

20130104131249.jpg

So last night I left you guys with the almost complete frame of my stand. I ran out of screws (blast!) and had to quit for the day. Too bad, I was on a roll. Any who, Here is the completed frame work for the stand.

20130104135124.jpg

Sheeted. I didnt get any pictures of the process, my son came out to 'help'. Hes 3 so if you have kids you know how that went. To fill in the blanks, I took my full sheet of plywood and laid it on the stand corner to corner. I screwed the sheet to the visible corners to hold it square and used a router to trim off the rest of the sheet. Im pretty picky with how the sheeting meets up at the corners and I dont have a table saw to make perfect cuts. This trick is one that works great for me, every time. I followed this up by doing the opposite side, then the top, then the front. In hind sight, I should have done the sides then the front than the top, but it looks good to me any ways and I cant see seams from the front of the unit. It should be noted that if you do intend to follow my example with the router trick you will need to watch for crappy corners on your 2x4. If you dont pay attention and you place a 2x4 that may have came from the outside of the log it will have a round or bumpy edge. Your router bit will follow these attributes and the sheeting will look like poo.

20130104154702.jpg

After I had it all sheeted, I unscrewed the top and painted it separately from the rest of the unit ridding me of any chance for dribbles on my sheeted stand. I couldnt resist the urge to set the rest in place to see how it fit. This revealed on under sight of mine in the planing process ( I think there will always be one :unsure: ). I forgot to account for my sheeting in my measurements. Luckily for me, I had planned on making a trim for the other tank to hide the seams from the addition of the second 'walls'. This will make up for my mistake, phew!

20130104173030.jpg

Black top attached. :) I think it looks nice.

20130104173037.jpg

Close up of the black top.

All that is left to complete my corner unit is to build and attach doors for the cabinets and put a nice top on the desk side. I also intend to build a tool rack on the top back of my desk for hand tool, drawing things and a charging station for cordless tools. :) Thanks for watching!

Edited by jamesbarr