Accuracy Of Strip Thermostats

jamesbarr

Hey,

I have 2 thermostats on my 60 gallon. Both are strip kind that have adhesive on the rear. I have a heater that turned my tank into a bathtub. The heater is obviously crapped out (took it out), but Im wondering if the fact that my thermostats both say my tank is 86 degrees is something that I should count on? I have one of the strips at the top and one at the bottom to measure the difference in temp closer to and further from the heater.

Any experiences with these?

I personally don't trust those ones. If the room is cooler or warmer than the tank, then it's possible that the thermostat may be reading a mix of the tank and room heat. I don't know this for sure, but it's always been a thought I've had, and is the reason I get the ones that are directly in the water.

I'm with dragonneko on this one, I never found the strip thermometers very accurate

I buy the nano brand aquarium thermometers from aquarium central for like $1.79 each,They are by far the smallest not noticeable thermometer I can find.

they are accurate,but they are in Celsius not Fahrenheit I found this weird because most aquarium equipment is in F.

I'm overkill with my thermometers,because I'm heating my fish room and not my tanks,well I'm using heaters in some bigger tanks.

Any tank 2ft or larger gets two thermometers one on each side of the tank

I've got them on my discus tanks as well as the temperature probe for my Apex Aquacontroller and the strips are usually off by 2-4 degrees Fahrenheit compared to the Aquacontroller probe. Apex should be using a probe that's accurate to .5 degrees C so it's safe to assume that the strips are out by at least a couple degrees. I find they're good at a glance to get a rough idea but like others have said, I wouldn't rely on them exclusively. Accuracy to .5 C is about the best you can hope for in "hobbyist" equipment.

I buy the nano brand aquarium thermometers from aquarium central for like $1.79 each,They are by far the smallest not noticeable thermometer I can find.

What kind of thermometer s the nano brand? I've seen the fluval nano in stores, but it was tiny leters and only in F.

I use these big display digitals. You can find them around 5 bucks. I can see them at a glance. With smaller ones, I never notice them till something is wrong. So, I think obvious is better. On my show tanks I use smaller digitals with a probe.

http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-LCD-Screen-Digital-Thermometer-HHC-223/