Amano Shrimp Are Awesome. Why Didn't I Get Some Sooner?

cainechow

I've been fighting with hair algae for a few weeks now. I think the algae came around because I've been pulling up plant, disturbing lots of substrate and stirring up dead matter. I finally broke down and got 6 amanos for the 10 gallon. Since I've added them 6 hours ago, they've cleaned up almost half the rocks of algae. They have been on the rocks, in the water sprite, on the substrate, in the HC, everywhere. These guys are awesome!

IMG_20121115_193628.jpg

These two shrimp cleared this rock almost completely in 60 minutes. WIN! This picture is about 20 minutes in.

Its like they didn't feed these guys at the store or something.

Anyway, I'm really happy with them so far. I hope they move to the algae trying to invade the HC over the next few days. If they decimate all the algae then I'll have to start feeding them food :)

Oh great. More jumpers. I'm down to one last emerald eye rasbora because they like to jump and now I have to worry about the shrimps too? :P

I guess I'm going to have to keep the water sprite trimmed down so that it doesn't stick to the edges of the tank near the water line. I already had one washed into my overflow box. Good thing I stuffed a chunk of sponge in there after I lost a rasbora that way.

They don't actually climb the glass do they?

There's a reason Ammano, himself, adds 1 shrimp per gallon. He doesn't have to concern himself with slight imbalances that can cause algae - his shrimp army takes care of it all for him!

I don't think they climb the glass, more like the silicone in the corners but they can also get frightened when they're near the top of the water column and do the shrimp backwards scoot and out they can go.

I had two Amanos scale 4" of tank wall and jump into the tank that was beside theirs. They might have used the corners but I've seen them walking up sides of the tank that had scale on it as well, literally scaling the wall.