I need help stocking

cichlidkid

okay my mom got this crazy Idea that we should get some stupid africans. we got a tank 3 feet long, 1 foot wide and 20 inches tall.

she wants lots of fish all different color. currently in the tank we have 2 jewels cichlids and I guess they are stunted because in the yea I have had them hey havent grown at all, the female is 3 inches and the male is 4.

other than those two she wants to have a malawi tank. how many fish could we get in there and what would you recomend? More is better we would like to have as many fish as possible so I guess smaller would be better. she likes the look of yellow labs, red zebbras and such, like bright colors. so yea any help would be appreciated

by the by african cichlids still suck!

Lots of fish with lots of color...... MBUNA is the way to go.

Looks like you have about a 37 gallon tank. I'd say that's too small for haps or peacocks.

I would go with:

One of the following in groups of 7-8 (2 males rest females):

- Ps. Salousi

- Ps. Msobo deep magunga

- Met. estere blue/red (red zebra's)

Any of the the above will give you blue and red (orange)

Then add a group of 7-8 electric yellows

I agree with RD, a tank that small should only have 1 species. Saulosi would be a good choice since you want lots of color. Females are orange and the males are blue with black stripes. So with this species you get 2 colors for the price of 1. Plus saulosi stay smaller and are more "peaceful" then some mbuna. I"d go with a group of maybe 8(2-3m/5-6f). Then if you want add a small group of syno.petricola.

But a 37g tank isn't very big and i wouldn't try to pack it with fish or it could end badly.

ps- Welcome to the dark side :ph43r: