Salt In Community Tank?

TroutKiller

I had an issue with ick but i treated it and as far as i can can tell i dont see any signs of it and i have had no issues at all other than that. The tank has been up and running for 8 months no real problems so i was surprised when he asked if i add salt and i said no and he said i should start adding salt right away.

Thanks for answers and the welcome :)

In addition to khuli's, most inverts are quite sensitive to salt - your snails, for sure, wouldn't appreciate it.

if your water is soft (generally not a concern in alberta) than adding a small amount of salt (non-iodized) is a good thing. a small bit of salt in the water makes oxygen exchange easier between fish blood stream and water column. It is also said to have a calming effect on fish. Again, in very small amounts.

I keep discus, in straight r/o water and i put a sprinkle of aquarium salt in with them every now and again.

Were you to follow the "instructions" of your lfs guy, you no doubt would be adding too much, enough that it could bother inverts etc as Jvision mentioned.

With hard water, there are plenty of naturally sourced minerals to make this ion exchange already in the water.

Its worth noting that epsom salt (not regular aquarium salt) when used at 5mg/10gal in freshwater is a fish laxative. I have a very aggressive eating Pigeon blood discus that often gets plugged up. after a few hours in a hospital tank epsom salt bath he poops and is ready for more food (again). were i to leave him plugged up he would likely suffer some sort of harm.

Edited by cullymoto