Seachem Safe Dosing

Vallisneria

I bought some Safe off of a member from the group order and I was just wondering the dosing instructions as I don't have the bucket. I remember reading the bucket and it was a bit confusing, something about measures when the buckets didn't have a "measure" in it. Anyways, I left saying I'd just ask here on AA.

So can anyone tell me how much to use for x amount of gallons(ie 1tsp/5gals). Something along through lines.

From http://www.seachem.c...ages/Safe.html:

Directions

Directions for 10 g and 50 g

To remove…

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg. To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

Directions for 250 g and larger

To remove…

Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm). Do not overdose!

To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

*US volume units

Edited by Znaika

It appears that Seachem has adjusted their dosage rates over the past few years. Not that I'm complaining, The same thing happened to Prime several years ago when their chemists crunched some numbers into a new formula. This is good news, even more bang for the buck.

My 4kg container states for chloramine, 5 g (1 teaspoon) to each 950l (250 gallons) of tap water (4ppm) ........ now Seachem has upped that value to 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons - actually works out to 329 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

Val, key thing to remember is that Edmonton (and Red Deer) chloramine levels are almost bang on 2 ppm (2 mg/l) year round, so you can safely double all of the values listed by Seachem at 4 ppm.

As an example, 1 teaspoon of Safe will treat a total of 2500 liters of tap water, or 658 gallons. (Edmonton & RD city)

HTH

Damn, thats some tiny amounts of safe. Can you over dose on it? Like can I just eyeball it and say a 1/16th or 1/8th tsp is good enough for a 50-100gal. So basically a few specks to treat a 10-20g. All my tanks are under 100g(90g,58g,2x20g,2x10g) so I its tiny amounts.

I would say by the amount that Jay goes through, he's always scoop happy! lol

Yes, you can OD your tanks on both Prime and Safe, but it typically takes a LOT to cause harmful affects with ones fish. Both Prime & Safe are reducing agents, so when they have completed reducing the chlorine compounds they will begin reducing other oxidising agents, such as the oxygen in the tank. Just something to keep in mind when you're getting scoop happy. :)

A 4KG container will treat 526,400 gallons of Edmonton or Red Deer water, so for most people a container of that quantity should last several years, or more.

If my math is correct, 1 teaspoon of Safe will treat a total of 2500 liters of tap water, or 658 gallons. (Edmonton & RD city)

1/2 teaspoon will treat 329 gallons

1/4 teaspoon will treat 164.5 gallons

1/8 teaspoon will treat 82.25 gallons

HTH

Edited by RD.

so for a 10g just take a flat tooth pick and pickup just a bit with the round end? :P This is going to be fun. I didn't really consider how small the amounts needed to be when I ordered :)

I knew it would be small amounts but these are much smaller then I though. Thankfully I split a bucket(only got 1kg) as bucket would last me many life times. :P

Thanks everyone for helping :)

so for a 10g just take a flat tooth pick and pickup just a bit with the round end?

Yes. And make sure you do not overdose. :D

If you need such small doses, you need to go with Seachem Prime, not Seachem Safe. Also, do not attempt to pre-dissolve Safe in a small amount of water and them use the solution. Unlike of Prime, Safe does not have stabilizers and will not last as a solution.

Also, do not attempt to pre-dissolve Safe in a small amount of water and them use the solution. Unlike of Prime, Safe does not have stabilizers and will not last as a solution.

While it is true that Safe does not contain stabilizers, as per Dr. Greg Morin, the CEO of Seachem, Safe can be pre-dissolved in water as long as it is used up within approx 30 days.