0.5L Iwagumi (More Like 250Ml)

cainechow

So my six year old son and I were cruising the net this evening for videos of fresh water crabs and ended up watching Oliver Knott videos. That got to me and I decided to do up a new Iwagumi tank with stuff I had around.

I was using an Ikea Rektangel Vase as a refugium in my sump. It already had Fluorite and a good tufft of HC growing in there and it seemed that it would be a great place to start. I also had a bucket of rocks soaking in some water that my grand father had brought to Canada from Hong Kong over 30 years ago.

The vase and my chosen tools. I forgot to take a picture of my chosen rock. It was pretty much the smallest one I had sitting around.

IMG_20121206_205920.jpg

This is what I ended up with.

IMG_20121206_223115.jpg

And one more shot with a tea spoon for scale.

IMG_20121206_223218.jpg

It was a pretty fun one hour project and the result is a cute little iwagumi aquarium that fits pretty much anywhere.

To maintain this thing I think I'm going to have to go get myself some new excel/metricide and dose one drop a day along with one drop of ferts. I'm just gonna let it get what ever light spills over from my 10 gallon.

We'll see how this thing does in the next few weeks.

Edited by cainechow

• 1 month later...

I won't say that the HC was growing... probably more like surviving. I'll have to call up my aunt to see how it is doing. I gave it to her for Christmas. Last I heard, she had it in direct sunlight and it was getting some algae growth on the glass.

I have another one going now at home right now. I can take a pic later when I get home. We got a hitchhiker snail last time we bought some fish and my son didn't want to toss out the snail. :P I think we've had that one going for 3 weeks now.

ive been watching oliver knotts videos after I read your first post. I like his approach, but my favourite thing that I learned from him was the most simple thing ever. His newspaper trick upon filling the tank after scaping is spot on. I know for sure I will be doing that when I set up my next tank. He also layered his sub in one video that I watched, which is something Im looking at as well.

Nice little set ups :)