Doh! Sorry!

Jayba

Today was water change day on my 75 gallon. I have a large piece of driftwood, about 5 inches of sand and marble sized rocks piled in the tank. I have 9 pleco caves pushed in the shallower substrate at the front of the tank and it gets deeper towards the back of the tank, trying to replicate holes in a riverbank. I have 15 or so L-134 Leopard frog plecos in there somewhere.

Over time some of the rocks have made their way into the caves, so today I figured I'd dump them out as the water level was low. Dumped out the first one no problem. Grabbed the second one and went to dump out the pebbles inside when a dozen wigglers fell out! Oh crap!

I managed to suck them up with a baster and placed them in a hang on container, and tossed dad into a 20 gallon I have full of other plecos I am growing out. I somehow mangled one, but got the rest in ok. The egg sacks are huge! Not sure how they are going to make out without dad? My 260's, 204's,066's all are good dads, never had to look after wigglers before. Anyone have any experience with this?

Saldy this isn't the first time I have disrupted a dad brooding over eggs, good thing they don't seem to mind.I gathered up 4 more caves with dads watching broods and placed them all in a 20 gallon long, and separated them with poret foam so that the babies don't get mixed up when they pop out. I have 2 caves of L-134, two caves of L-066 and a single batch of L204's on the go right now.

As well as my ancistrus frankenstein project/creation I have been working on for a while. On the 4tth generation. When they grow out more I will take pics. It's looking to be a calico base color, with yellow spots. Anyway, anyone know how to deal with the wiggler situation?

Edited by Jayba

Jay, those Marina Breeding/Holding pens that are being sold in the stores would be ideal for your situation right now. Buy the biggest ones and you'll have no problems raising the young for at least a couple of months in them before having to transfer them to a tank. You may have to jury-rig a piece of sponge in place of the slotted water exit gate, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I've grown Ancistrus from eggs. My best results w/o papa was having them in a breeder box (about 1/2 way down this page) with an HOB return pouring right into the container until they hatched. I've had daddy Ancistrus boot out freshly hatched fry many times and the wrigglers w/ yolk sacs just found somewhere to wriggle.

And, those HOT Breeder boxes are awesome for raising the kids; though, I've never had success hatching eggs in those.

I do have them in a Marineland hang on container, everyone is still alive today! I took a couple pics today, should have done it yesterday, as their yould sacks were huge! Suprising how fast they are seeming to go through it.

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Edited by Jayba