Butterfly Loach!

Fin2you

Hi all I've been MIA from the forum all summer (too busy to sit at the computer!)... But I've added another tank to our collection....

My oldest has been begging for goldfish for years. A friend rescued some common goldfish from another friend's cichlid tank where they were being harrassed & I took 3 of the 5 from her.

Anyways lastnight was at Big Als to get a new tank hood & more nerite zebra snails & couldn't resist wandering. Well right beside the fancy goldfish was a tankfull of Chinese Butterfly Loaches... & while I don't like the look of other loaches these guys looked cool.

Now does anyone have experience with these guys? The guy there said they do good in with goldfish, but he said getting 1 was ok but everything online says they're happiest in groups of 3-7. Do I need to go get a couple more? I've already desided to add an airstone to the tank as every site online said they like really oxygen rich water.

I've kept these guys several times.

They love oxygen rich water ,and they love strong current even more. I often had issues with mine swimming up my HOB filters output area if they could reach them ,or swimming into filter tubing. Very silly little fish.

Also I find cold water is very helpful. Without it I've had them survive, but never thrive.

Also I've kept both singles and pairs ,and never really seen a difference in behavior.

They don't make the best algae eaters ,prefering flakes/pellets/worms/etc to plant matter ,but they would nibble at algae time to time.

Also ,how big is your tank ??

Edited by polleni-puffer

I went out and bought an airpump this morning & have it set up already so the water will be nice and oxygen rich from now on!

This tank is not heated & it's stayed pretty consistant between 19-21C. It's a 5 1/2Gal "over-filtered" (using a Tetra Whisper 10-20Gal filter) & without any sponges to tone down the current. It's way faster than my betta's like! The water ripples like mini waves!

I've kept these guys several times.

They love oxygen rich water ,and they love strong current even more. I often had issues with mine swimming up my HOB filters output area if they could reach them ,or swimming into filter tubing. Very silly little fish.

Also I find cold water is very helpful. Without it I've had them survive, but never thrive.

Also I've kept both singles and pairs ,and never really seen a difference in behavior.

They don't make the best algae eaters ,prefering flakes/pellets/worms/etc to plant matter ,but they would nibble at algae time to time.

Also ,how big is your tank ??