Wondering What Group Of Cichlids Blood Parrots Would Technically Fall Into

Lindsayhjw

I have a blood parrot, he's very peaceful towards any fish 2" and bigger. Which is great because there are a few danios in the tank with him.

I was wanting more information on blood parrots. I know they're a crossbreed, I know they usually have black blotches when they're young until they fully develope colour, I know some of them are dyed and it's a cruel proccess, I know most are infertile, I know they naturally are orange, red, or yellow, I know they can reach up to 10", I know about their mutated mouths and spines.

But I read that they dye the white ones, does that mean there are naturally occurring white parrots, or do people somehow take their orange colour out so they are easier to dye? Might be a dumb question but I know people have white parrots, yet every website I read say the natural colours are red, yellow, and orange. I'm confused lol

Also, what kinds of fish can live with them? I heard angels can because they are of similar temperment, but I don't know personally.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything I've been told or read is that they are a cross between a Gold Severum and a Red Devil. I also read that they are "mules" . I have seen them with African Cichlids, tinfoil barbs, jack dempseys and even larger goldfish. I also have seen a few that are just nasty. They must have taken on the Red Devil attitude. Most however are pretty good as long as the aquarium is a fair size.

It's called a deformity because it isn't "normal", it doesn't mean they are in any kind of pain for one. Secondly, they are actually quite cute and they come to greet you when you walk in the room. They eat just fine with their mouths and they are actually quite stunning in colour. And I bought him because he was sick (petsmart is horrible in my town) and I nursed him back to health and now he's big and gorgeous. And thanks fishman 35 :)