Sectioned Aquarium

vaughan

My plan is to take a 33 gal and basically make some cubicles for my fish. 4 to be precise

The purpose is to cut down on the number of tanks i have and to accomodate a breeding section that can be used as a grow out portion as well. mostly this is for my killifish

Its 36inches long and each section will be 9inches. Looking to have plastic mesh so there is still water moving between all sections. The walls can be removed or added depending on what the current needs are.

My question is has anyone here done this and if so what problems have you come across? any advice before i embark upon this

My only experience with sectioning off tanks was when I had my very first 25gal tank some 20 years ago. I had an extremely territorial female swordtail who had it in for my betta for some reason. I didn't find any particular issues with the sectioning itself except that I didn't have a proper divider between the two areas and the female managed to squeeze herself through the smallest openings she could find. So I suppose that would be my only advice..lol.

I have done this on 10G and one of my 3G, same issue make it a tight fit so they can't squeeze through. Used it as a breeding divider when I had guppy gals dropping, most of the babies would swim through and some suicidal ones would swim back out. It can get dirty fairly quick but what I would do was cut 2 for each divider, that way when one needed a scrubbing, I could slide the other in and remove the dirty one without losing the separation.

suggestion: use a soft/pliable aquarium-safe silicone bead around the three sides to "fill in" any small gaps, and use a power head to keep up the water flow....

Edited by rompergoddess

I have been using Poret foam as dividers in 20 longs. Seems to work well. Just rig up a lift tube from the first compartment to the last so there is flow between chambers.

The flow distributes heat and filtered water.