Got A New Sw Tank....help Please

shanks

ok so i had a 90 gallon aquarium given to me as it was leaking. I set up half the live rock with coral in my 40 gallon and the other half of the rock is in a tote with an air bubbler. I managed to save all the fish so far and the coral seems to be doing fine. I followed the mixing instructions from the instant ocean but do not hae a hyddrometer. I will pick one up today. I will have the 90 gallon fixed or replaced within a week but could use any suggestions or tips to help me out for the next week or so. I converted my canister with live rock to act as a temp sump. Please advise.

Of everything you have the rock will be fine doing things your doing. The fun part will be when you get it all set up and whatever is living inside the rock starts coming out of it. My first crack at a SW tank was a little 10gal. A couple of days after I got it going I saw this tiny little crab claw stick out of a little pore. It wasn't moving so I figured he didn't make it. But as the months wore on I noticed this claw appear every so often cleaning around it's little home. Eventually he got big enough that he emerged as an Emerald Crab. It was pretty cool.

Of everything you have the rock will be fine doing things your doing. The fun part will be when you get it all set up and whatever is living inside the rock starts coming out of it. My first crack at a SW tank was a little 10gal. A couple of days after I got it going I saw this tiny little crab claw stick out of a little pore. It wasn't moving so I figured he didn't make it. But as the months wore on I noticed this claw appear every so often cleaning around it's little home. Eventually he got big enough that he emerged as an Emerald Crab. It was pretty cool.

yeah the tote is sitting at 68 degrees. his tank was only at 72 and with no heater but i think the sump was giving it a few degrees. Is it true that if the corals do die i can reintroduce more later. The ones that i inherited are fairly boring to say the least.

The ideal reef tank temperature is between 76° and 78° Fahrenheit .You will have to be very watchful, if the corals are not happy and start going south, they could start a chemical warfare. Never a pretty sight. Have to make sure your quality of water is bang on for that small of a tank.

Jeff

Edited by Vitaminz