Hi Everyone

HerpsNHarleys

Just joined the forum......oh thank you Almighty Tanker for so graciously approving my account.

So a little about me....... My name is Ann, I live in the Edmonton area and my aquarium needs/experience is going to be a good bit different from most of you I suspect.

My primary hobby is reptiles.......yes...you read that right....I have snakes and lizards of various kinds. Where the aquatics fit in is with my Chinese Water Dragon. I am in the middle of building a paludarium for him. For those that don't know what a paludarium is its part land part water enclosure. For the water portion of his enclosure I am planning of including some fish.....WAIT! WHAT! Fish? but won't he eat them? No, I am not worried about this......the poor little guy has lost most of his toes up to the first knuckle so is unable to catch fish. The fish are going to be primarily stimulus as well as making his habitat more natural. So saying all this I will be asking questions in the appropriate sections on the building process of the water portion and what would be good fish and plants to include.

Oh if I do notice that by some weird fluke he is able to catch any fish (highly ghighly unlikely) then I'll take them out obviously.

welcome to the forum!

Some of us are just nuts for animals period...not just fish. There is no singular paint brush here!

I personally wouldn't be worried if your water dragon caught the odd fish...heck, some of the fish we keep are adept at catching/eating other fish.

I too would be interested in seeing your finished project!

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the interest in my paludarium. To be honest I was a little nervous posting about the paludarium as I wasn't sure how people here would feel about the possibility of the odd fish getting munched on but as Wingin It said, there are fish that prey on each other, I never thought of that.

I'll ask the admins about a paludarium section and either way I can to a progressive thread like I did with my reptile group. Basically it shows how its all built and put together and gets updated as I get stuff done. I am actually pretty excited about it as this weekend I will be putting the backgrounds and live plant section together. Next is the focus on the water section thus my interest here to see what plants and fish will work.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds interesting, I created one once just out of boredom - the frogs and the fish liked it. Mountain cloud minnows and danios are small fast fish that do quite well in room temp water; although I have also seen tropical fish like Neon tetras used with heaters. The Big Al's in Edmonton has a couple set up for display.

I wouldn't worry about the odd fish getting eaten - some of us here breed fish just for feeders.

If you were planning on dissecting them alive that would be a different story.