New Discus From Big Als Aquarium

Lindsayhjw

Also, I added plants to my aquarium and have a DIY co2 system, wondering where I can get a co2 reader

dyi yeast if that is what you have...i wouldn't even worry about a drop checker as the yeast won't produce enough co2 to saturate water to a dangerous level. Now if you convert to a pressurized co2, then a drop checker of some sort is a must.

No one sells wild stock much anymore - they are just as colorful and the fish are agressive eaters. Red Alenquers, Royal Blues and Greens, Red Spots and Coari are so amazing even when compared to the highly bred colored morphs. Just like anything, the more intense the coloration the more inbreeding to get there, wilds are still the strongest.

Best advice is to invest in books, read them a few times, visit the stores at different times and ask questions. I have boughten off of both sides - breeders, local pet shops and right from the origins in South America. It comes down to you watching the fish in the tank - fish behavior is subtle but definitive. Many fish whisperers in hear can list off what to look for. At the end of the day create a relationship, do your research and go from there

Wild fish are needed to keep the highly colored forms healthy so you will not see an end to this. If we do our job right as aquarist we can help sustain these fish in the wild as their habitat is being reduce monthly due to human expansion. They do harvest these fish ethically and responsibly, during the dry season millions of fish naturally die so we really are not depleting as many fish as we think.