Vacuuming Sand

sebek18

Not really an emergency but since my nitrate and nitrite levels are still kinda high I am wondering how to properly clean sand substrate in my African Cichlid tank. I keep on vacuuming it but it seems no waste is being sucked up. I always had gravel and it seemed to suck all the poop and leftover food. Please help. Thanks

Check the filter/screen area where the hose meets the tube, amazing how this can clog quick without you realizing it. I vacuum my sand pretty much almost touching the top layer, you pick up some sand but get the poop. Since the sand I have tends to stay on the bottom of the bucket if you pour it carefully can put back in tank after. Other question are you using the standard size gravel vacuum or a smaller version ? Most tend to have an opening around 2" diameter. Just a quick few problems I have run into when I switched.

If you have nitrite it sounds like a cycle problem. Your readings should be 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and some number for nitrate. This would indicate a fully cycled tank working properly. How long has the tank been running?

I use a 50 foot clear hose I bought in bulk from Princess Auto with a 1/2 inch diameter. I then have slid it inside of 2.5 foot rigid clear lift tube to keep it straight and rigid. I hold it about an inch away from the sand and any dirt within a 3x3 inch area gets pulled in. When I deep clean the sand simply suck up a ton of sand, pinch off the hose to greatly reduce the flow and the dirt goes up and the sand falls out then move to a new spot. Water off into the toilet or down the floor drain. The end.

Edited by Jayba

If you're concerned with nitrite and your fish can handle it, add a tiny bit of salt (1 tsp of salt provides enough chloride to inhibit nitrite uptake in fish hemoglobin for ~200 gallons).

Not actually sure what the natural concentration of chloride is in Edmonton, might even be enough (looking for about 5ppm).