Water Testing Kits?

jamesbarr

The two widely available master test kits on the market are API and Nutrafin. Nutrafin is about twice more expensive, but includes tests for iron, carbonate and general hardness. Nutrafin includes regular pH and wide-range pH, whereas API has regular and high-range pH test and does not allow to measure pH lower than 6.0. If you need those, then the price-wise they become about the same. A friend is using Nutrafin; I am using API. Have not heard about one being better than another in readability or otherwise.

Edited by Znaika

What are you planning? Tilapia? :)

Im planning on an experimental tank which I fertilize with vermicompost. I dont think that it would be any kind of 'scientific' experiment without some numbers to put out for everyone. I guess as long as I use the same test kit throughout I can call that a control in my experiment. I just would like my kit to be as accurate as possible for my dollar, if thats a feasible thing.

Im primarily concerned about a nitrate/nitrite spike in the tank since I would by all definitions be adding decaying organic matter to my tank. As a secondary concern, I would like to know how much calcium the egg shells I was putting in the compost will become available in the water column. Along with some of the other measurable trace minerals.

Edited by jamesbarr

Either of the test kit mentioned by Znaika will let you know what you need to know - basically, all you need is any measurement, right? Before you add the compost, then after. Sure you'd like to know how much of a nitrite/nitrate spike, but I have a feeling that it'll be quite high.

I would only do this experiment in a FULLY planted tank or an ESTABLISHED aquaponics set-up. Anything that isn't mature will not be able to handle the compost, IMO... unless you just want to know IF the compost will raise the nitrate/nitrite.

Have fun!

I'm planning on setting up a tank, cycling it and planting it first. I want my nitrates to read zero on the tank prior to my experiment. If I dont do this I wont be able to determine where the nitrates are coming from. I'm not planning on any plants that require ferts for life either, knowing that the low maintenance plants still show visible differences when fertilized. I don't want to have any foreign substance to wean my plants off of either. This also means that I will continue to use plain play sand in my tank which is void of any additives.

I intend to do this with a 5 gallon tank set up that I have here. Faster to fill with plants and cheaper if it bombs. Not to mention that an HOB is a great place to hide my 'tea bag'. I intend to add the compost in increments, likely by the tbsp and by the week, to determine where the threshold is in a heavily planted 5 gallon would be roughly, then translate that to a per gallon dose. If this works for an undetermined amount of time in the 5 gallon, I will expand this into the 20 gallon I intend to set up for my son. Likely to be a bit til I can get into the city for a test kit, so Ill post a thread later for those who are interested to follow the progress.

Thanks for the input guys. I think that Ill opt for the nutrafin as long as the price isnt too outrageous so that I will have to option of testing more parameters.